Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Thank you from a Yankee

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you from a Yankee

First off let me say how much I enjoy all the information available on this site.
    I'm glad to have found it. Here in Conneticut Crappie fisherman are far and few. I have yet to meet anyone that goes to the effort that you folks go to to improve your fishing success by placing structure like I have seen here.
    Sure a few guy's sink a few Christmas trees here and there for bass. But no one I know or heard of for Crappie. So needless to say the amount of local information about Crappie is very limited. I for the most part just started getting very interested in Crappie two years ago. Up till then it was strictly bass fishing for me. I must admitt as much as I love bass fishing Crappie fishing just offers something a little bit more that I really enjoy.
    I can't put the feelings into words.There's just something about it.
    The point I'm trying to get at is as much as I would really like to offer information in return for what I will take from this site. My limited knowledge of Crappie fishing prevents me from offering much in return. I'll do what I can
    and if anyone ever comes to Ct for whatever reason any of you would want to come to this God forsaken state I would be happy to take you out fishing during you stay. So with that Thank you all for the information available to me through your expertise posted on this site. So with all that said I would like to ask a question if Y'all (Y'all?? I guess that southern drawl rubs on quick:D ) wouldn't mind. What type area's should I concentrate my condo dumping efforts? Thanks Chris in Ct

Post Thanks / Like

Chris,
    90% of all my condos are located on the edge of a drop/break. Creek channel, ditch, road bed, ect. 10% located up on the flats. Hey don`t make fun of our talking or spelling.:D
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris, I agree with Krappiekrazy. try to put your structure on breaks and drops and eddys. I also put them in coves out of wind so I can have a place to fish if the wind is blowing on the main lake. Put some shallow and some deap have a different variety of choices. You will want to wait them down very well or they may not stay put.
    There is nothing better than felling that slightest little tap on the line and pulling that B&M or Wally Marshall pole up with a nice crappie on the other end.

Good fishin
    Crappie X.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Should I place them on suggested areas that have or are near weeeds or those type areas that are of rock or barren type areas where no structure exist now. I'm really excited about getting started on this in the next few weeks. I'll put up some pictures of what I come up with. Thanks for the help guy's. I'm curious in another post or two someone said these type structures don't show up on most fish/depth finders. I'm wondering why that is?
    Another question I have is I notice your home made condos are made of different color PVC. Has anyone noticed if it makes any difference what color you use or is it just whatever stuff you pick up at the best price. I imagine after a few years the pipes get covered with crud so you don't see the original color. But the first couple years it must stand out pretty well.

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

put copper wire in the pvc and the southern boys are great people and they will give you all kinds of info. more than people up north mid st. in. here
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Chris. Glad to hear you have gotten "SLAB FEVER". I like you was a bass fisherman but have found much more enjoyment in crappie. If you ever make it down to the Upstate of South Carolina let me know. I would be more than happy to have you in the boat.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Chris I'm no southern boy (proud Yankee:D ). I put my cribs out a little different than most. I find a spot that is almost barren of brush, rocks, weeds, etc. and place the condos in about 12 foot of water, just deep enough so they aren't seen at draw down time. My lake is a flood control lake so structure is at a premium. I've put out condos on a Monday and Tuesday had fish set up home. Plus it is where the crowds would not think of looking. I'm partial to small humps that come up 3-4 feet and I load the hump with condos. Some on top and some on the sides and a few in deeper water.

Post Thanks / Like

I try to place them off points and in coves to give me protection on windy days. I have some that start out in deep water and work their way shallow. Give the fish a rest area to use during thier transitions. I wish I had more out, but I can only take so many per trip and it is going to take a while before I get them out in all the areas I want, but I got it all laid out in my head.
    LET IT RIP!