Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What fish Have you caught

Post Thanks / Like

Question What fish Have you caught

I went fishing yesterday afternoon & picked up 10 big crappie & 3 good size catfish all on a chartuse beaver tail with a minnow trailer. I was just wondering if it was uncommon to catch catfish when fishing with jigs & a minnow trailer.
    I havent been Crappie fishing long, but I have been fishing for Bass almost my whole life, so I was shocked to see these fat cats on my minnowed trailed jig.

Anyone else done this before???

Post Thanks / Like

It is quite common. Channel catfish are much more aggressive feeders than most people realize. I have caught them on a variety of crankbaits, plastic worms and other seemingly unlikely items. They are great eating - so just pile them into the cooler with those fine tasting specks.

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually caught quite a few catfish using jigs. I seem to catch more them normal when I take my daughter out, I think that its because of the sun tan lotion I used to put on here.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

A friend and I went to Ross Barnett yesterday and we were jig fishing in thin water with no minnows. This is what we caught, 17 crappie, 5 brim, 3 shellcrackers, 4 blackbass, 2 whitebass, 4 catfish, 1 mudfish and 1 gar. I think that is the biggest variety I have ever been part of in freshwater.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a 2lb yellow bullhead catfish while fishing with a minnow last year. I was fishing in my favorite crappie hole. I have caught a limit from this spot in the past many times. So it's not unusual to find other fish swimming in the same spot that the crappie inhabit routinely. This spot produces crappie all year round as it's a drop off next to a small shelf.

I have caught big crappie and big catfish while bass fishing with crank baits in the past.

I guess any fish that can feed on minnows or live bait will hit some other baits as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmac
    I went fishing yesterday afternoon & picked up 10 big crappie & 3 good size catfish all on a chartreuse beaver tail with a minnow trailer. I was just wondering if it was uncommon to catch catfish when fishing with jigs & a minnow trailer.
    I haven't been Crappie fishing long, but I have been fishing for Bass almost my whole life, so I was shocked to see these fat cats on my minnow-ed trailed jig.

Anyone else done this before???
    Last edited by Moose1am; 04-05-2006 at 02:10 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught quite a few cats on small crappie jig's here in Ct.
    Surprisingly some big ones at that.

Post Thanks / Like

While crappie fishing with jigs I have caught many largemouth bass as well as channel cats and about a 7 pound blue cat. The catfish can't seem to stay away from a yellow jig.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey SteveJ that is where Iwas fishing was the Res over by the bluffs.

I was just suprised to see a catfish on my hook since I was using a jig with a minnow trialer, but it appears by everyones response it isnt unusual.

Thanks for everyones response

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught alot of cats on jigs.They eat good too.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I really fish for white perch at home,verticle fish with a jig & a small piece of nightcrawler. Catch a lot of Crappie and usually Bass,Catfish,yellow perch & Sunfish, even an eel once in a while. Going to try the Honey Worms & Salted Shrimp they have been talking about on the Panfish Forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast