Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Preserve those filets....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Preserve those filets....

Going on a fishing trip and am curious as to how one might preserve the filets while away from home 4 or 5 days. Promised my wife's grandparents i'd bring them back some reelfoot crappie filets. (used to fish with them in FLA for crappie, they had a freezer outside thier camper). Don't know the best way to make sure that what i bring back is preserved properly. Thought about taking my foodsaver and bags. Problem is, how do i keep the bagged filets from my first days catch cold throughout the week? Any advice?
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Twister ...

you might consider using "dry ice". Just be sure and put a layer of cardboard between the bagged filets & the dry ice.

I've taken my "foodsaver" machine on some of my previous trips ... but, just kept the bagged filets in a refrigerator (in the cabin/motel room) and iced them down for the 4-6hr haul home. They were fine.

Someone with experience, using dry ice, may have some tips/tricks to add ...... I've never used it, myself, but get shipments packed in it at work (Pharmaceuticals) so I know it should work. ........ luck2ya .... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Are you camping, staying in a hotel/motel, lodge????? If camping use the food saver just keep plenty of ice on them. If a hotel/motel or lodge, ask the manager if you can keep them in their cold storage for a couple of days. It may cost you a bag of fillets but it's better than bringing home rotten fish. From my culinary school days, the basic rule for keeping food fresh and bacteria free is that it must be kept at a temperature at or below 41 degrees F. Salted ice will get colder than the 32 degree freezing point.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I would clean them real good, put in a ziploc bag, wrap that with freezer paper, then another ziploc bag and pack it in the ice chest with a lot of ice and salt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmbutler47
    I would clean them real good, put in a ziploc bag, wrap that with freezer paper, then another ziploc bag and pack it in the ice chest with a lot of ice and salt.

Yep, plenty of ice should do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like

GUT THEM, in a cooler put in a layer of ice, then fish then ice then fish then ice to top it all, occassionally let some water drain out thru the drain hole. Will keep for DAYS...JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET THE GUTS OUT ASAP!!!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

These guys are close , but if I was going to fillet them. I'd use dry ice or layers of regular ice. The fillets drained in plastic bags and even spinkle A little salt over fillets when bagging. This will slow down the bacteria growing . JUST REMEMBER TO WASH EXCESS OFF BEFORE COOKING ! The dry ice thing is do not keep in your room or closed car ! DO NOT TOUCH DRY ICE WITH BARE SKIN IT CAN CAUSE FREEZE BURNS ! Lay card board or news paper between dry ice and your bags of fish.Dry ice is frozen CO2 gas and as it melts the gas can build up with out proper ventilation . It could possiably crowd out the oxygen and suffocate you ! Good luck on your fishing !
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I have kept fillets in freezer bags packed in a cooler full of ice for up to a week while camping. Have had no problem with spoilage as long as the fillets are very clean before putting them in the freezer bags.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish can be kept on ice for 3-4 days with NO PROBLEM at ALL , they will LOOK FRESH & TASTE FRESH as the day you cayght them , IF you do these things , Layer the fish & ice EVERYDAY , and DRAIN the water OFF & NEVER EVER ALLOW the fish to sit in the water , to do this, make sure you have a 4-5 inch bed of ice at ALL times in the bottom of the cooler !!

It takes a lil extra work & some COLD hands BUT I PROMISE , IF you take the time once a day to re layer the fish , & Make sure there is a bed of ice on the bottom of the cooler so NO fish are allowed to sit in the water, the fish will & taste just like the day you caught them 3-4 days later even in 100 degree days !! , this is with or without them being cleaned !! , OF COURSE cleaning & Freezing is ALWAYS BETTER , BUT 4 days , if they are on ice & not IN ANY WAYER , they will do GREAT !!

btw i REALLY dont like the Freezer bags while i am still fishing Idea, If you use a Open cooler on ice, you can Drin the fish & they wont be sitting in bloody water, it will be draining off everyday , this is the same thing weather they are cleaned or not ,,, if they arent cleaned , you are draining off the slime , if they are clean , you are draining off the bvlod, either way , draining is a good thing in MY Opinion ,,,WITH THAT SAID, once you hit the road , The Bags might be the way to go IF you dont have a good way to keep re iceing the fish ..

SO, once you get to the last day , get the electric knife out & start filletting the fish , & washing em up good & them pack em up for the ride home !! Should be great !! Wish you luck on Reelfoot !!

I have to Ship Some Crappies to a Friend in Colo. I have been thinking of the best way to do them, maybe feezing each fillett , then freezing the whole bunch in water & then pack in ice & then pack dry ice over that & send 2 or 3rd day shipping , as long as they are still cold they should be OK , as long as they at least have Ice crystle still in them , & they go ahead & fry them up

sorry for the thread drift !

Allen
    Last edited by Allen42; 04-06-2006 at 07:50 AM.