Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yum Beavertail Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yum Beavertail Pics

After watching a show of Todd Huckabee using Yum Beavertails I just had to try them! My first impression was, "Man, these are too big for crappie", but it didn't take me long to get over that. I've caught several crappie that were barely twice as long as the jig!

One thing I do, and I think I read somewhere that Todd Huckabee does also, is to pinch or cut off the head of the grub just back to where the ribs start. This shortens the overall profile of the bait a little and makes the jig hook come out close to where the beavertail starts.

I think the overall size of this bait helps with better hook-ups as there is more surface area when the fish enhales the jig. Most of the fish I catch are hooked in the roof of the mouth or deep in the lip.

These are two of Todd Huckabee's favorite colors. They are Carolina Pumpkin/Chartreuse and Black/Pink in the 2" size. The Crappie Pro jigheads in the 3/16 size work very well shallow or deep. Here in Arkansas I only found the Beavertails at Academy Sports and I found the jig hooks in all sizes at Gander Mountain.

CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Default Awesome illustration.

THis is an awesome illustration, thanks for the detailed info. I am willing to give the bigger bait a try. Geneally speaking, bigger bait, bigger fish. I have seen over the years that sometime the biggest fish strike the smallest bait in the lightest fashion. I want to give the YUM product line a try but to date have seen nothing but bass stuff. Thanks
    twister
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Those jigheads are awesome, incredibly sharp!
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

The YUM Beavertail is also made in 1.5" for a smaller presentation. They also make a curl tail and tube type bait.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

I am using a similar bait from BPS this spring and have caught fish on it as well. Its the BPS Crappie beaver.
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

I ran into them in a tackle shop at Watts Bar and got a package. The features that I like are that it shows a different profile to the crappies than they are accustomed to seeing and the tails are very limber and move quite a lot when in the water, even when still. They are a flat wide bail and are great for slow presentations when the crappies are hitting lightly.

You mentioned that the beavers are too big. When I fish in schools that I can watch I notice that the larger fish zero in on the larger baits. One thing I've learned is that crappies will hit large baits. They hit 4 inch grub and bass size crankbaits and minnow baits often.

I have been using beaver tails sparingly for years and found that crappies hit them but not as well as they are hitting these crappie beavers. I have several packages of beaver tails I've had in my collection of rarely used plastics that I've had for 7-8 yrs.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 04-05-2006 at 11:57 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some black and red beaver tails last year to try. Didnt have much luck on them though, but now looking back I don't think I fished them very long before I went back to the ole standby black and chart tube jig. Does anyone know of a website for the baits and the colors that they are made in?

UPDATE
    Ok found the yum website but they don't sell the beavertail lures on it??? go figure

Found the baits on another site for sale and they have them in 1 1/2 and 2" versions in black and chart. I was thinking 2" but has anyone tried the 1 1/2 yet? BTW found them on lurenet.com

http://www.lurenet.com/catalog.aspx?...oolyBeavertail

Thanks is advance
    Last edited by MoSam; 04-05-2006 at 02:58 PM.
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

Slabbandit,

are you splitting the tails on those? I have used the larger ones for bass but I thought they had a solid tail. I can see how there would be more action with the split tail....

Post Thanks / Like

I have met three people, two of whom I am in fairly constant contact with, that have hired Todd Huckabee as a guide for Crappie. All of them say that his method of catching Crappie is amazing and that he goes against most of the methods taught by other pros. Just goes to show to not be afraid to try anything new. I wish I could afford a trip with him just to enlighten my knowledge. He definately seems to know what he is doing.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I missed the show, what methods does he use that is so different?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Found the baits on another site for sale and they have them in 1 1/2 and 2" versions in black and chart. I was thinking 2" but has anyone tried the 1 1/2 yet? BTW found them on lurenet.com

I have used the 1.5" with lots of success. I have just recently started using the 2" and still catch some smaller fish on these. I still use the curltail more frequently though.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast