Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems yesterday crappie fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Problems yesterday crappie fishing.

I have been up in Colorado and Montana for the last month and have not crappie fished in a while. Yesterday I was on the water at 6:45 AM and I went straight to one of my favorite brush piles. It had quiet a few crappie on it. I tried everything I know of to get them to bite, but I only caught one. The would bump it, but would not take it. I went to four other brush piles and the same thing happened. I normally limit out on these brush piles, but not yesterday.

I changed jigs, styles and color but nothing worked. I do not use minnows because to me that is like cheating. LOL
    What do some of you pros do when it is like this?

It has been super hot, could this be the reason? Water temp was 81 degrees. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I was fishing on Lake Cypress Springs here in East Texas.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go buy some minnows. Have to give them what they want.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, start "cheating"
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jyw1221 View Post
    I have been up in Colorado and Montana for the last month and have not crappie fished in a while. Yesterday I was on the water at 6:45 AM and I went straight to one of my favorite brush piles. It had quiet a few crappie on it. I tried everything I know of to get them to bite, but I only caught one. The would bump it, but would not take it. I went to four other brush piles and the same thing happened. I normally limit out on these brush piles, but not yesterday.

I changed jigs, styles and color but nothing worked. I do not use minnows because to me that is like cheating. LOL
    What do some of you pros do when it is like this?

It has been super hot, could this be the reason? Water temp was 81 degrees. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I was fishing on Lake Cypress Springs here in East Texas.
    Capps and Coleman (probably the most successful crappie pros to date) do not discount minnows as cheating...but merely as another tool in their arsenal...

I hope this doesn't turn into another minnows vs jigs....

Minnows vs jigs is an opinionated argument as futile as Ford vs Chevy...neither is right...neither is wrong....

If one is not comfortable using a certain method for removing crappie from their natural habitat (which is the true meaning of cheating) then decisions have to made in one's own perception of what "cheating" means to them....

Sometimes fish just won't bite...

Are not depth finders also..."cheating"..??....Ooops!!...hope I didn't start an argument...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

What size jigs were you using? Did you try going smaller?

Post Thanks / Like

You just can't always force them to bite...but, minners sure do help the cause in these situations. Watch fish in an aquarium sometime. After you feed them, sometimes they'll suck in a piece and spit it back out faster than you can imagine. Having flavor will make the difference on these days. You still may not burn them up, but it will increase the odds.

Post Thanks / Like

In my very limited experience I've come to the semi-conclusion that if the fish are there and hungry, they will bite on anything. If they are not hungry, they won't bite on anything.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingkrappie View Post
    Ha, start "cheating"
    Yea, like Capps and Coleman does. I normally fish jigs but with this hot water I started buying minners after awhile. Then I started back bringing home a mess of fish again. Our water has cooled a few degrees from some cooler weather and the jigs are back ON again...so NO MORE MINNERS.Thumbs Up
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Going fishing without your minners is like going golfing without your balls.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Going fishing without your minners is like going golfing without your balls.
    Hands ClappingHands ClappingHands Clapping
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast