Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need some Carpet!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some Carpet!

I need a small amout of carpet for my livewell project. Would Lowes or HomeDepot have any that I could use?

Post Thanks / Like

Bigbass, I got my carpet from HomeDepot at a great price... Good Luck
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

They might but I just recarpeted my Tracker and I bought mine at a local marine dealer. It came off of a 6 foot wide roll and I think it was 6.99 a foot. Marine carpet is rubber backed and has open fibers so it will be snag-free.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Lowes has some indoor/outdoor carpet that is great and not expensive either.

Post Thanks / Like

Carpet for a livewell? The outside of the livewell right? I am intrigued.

Post Thanks / Like

Lowe's does. I bought some marine rated UV protected carpet off a roll and it was a MUCH better deal than other places - it worked great. The biggest trick is the adhesive you use.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone said on another post about a few weeds back that they used liguid nails they said it worked great.

mikeg

Drift_Wood is offline Moderator TN Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Marine carpet at Lowe's

I finished my boat with Lowe's carpet and I also used the Marine Glue that they sell too. I used liquid nail on the edges and ends. Looks good and the carpet seems to be of good quality. I sanded all the aluminum surfaces good though before I glued them. And it looks like the factory put it there. I sure do like it.....Drift_Wood

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find some MethyleneChloride Solvent it will take all the old carpet glue off the aluminum and make is look brand new. It's a lot less work then trying to sand all that stuff off. I look around a long time and asked many people what to use to remove the old glue from my boat's deck before I redid my carpet last spring. The old carpet was held down at the edge by some L shaped aluminum strips. Those strips were screwed down over the edge of my carpet. Makes for a nice trim job.

I got my carpet at Lowes but can't remember if I got the glue there or not. I think I purchased some there and took it back and then got some other glue at another store. Just make sure you get some good outdoor carpet glue that's waterproof when it's dry.

Be careful when working with that methylenechloride as it's a paint remover and it burns if you get it on your skin. Also work with it outside if at all possible as the fumes are not good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drift_Wood
    I finished my boat with Lowe's carpet and I also used the Marine Glue that they sell too. I used liquid nail on the edges and ends. Looks good and the carpet seems to be of good quality. I sanded all the aluminum surfaces good though before I glued them. And it looks like the factory put it there. I sure do like it.....Drift_Wood
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default I aint a hobo but...

I've redone some small projects like livewells where just a little carpet was needed and have found free scraps that were really big enough to do the job at local carpet dealers.

You can ask them, or just go around to their dumpster and look. I know I probably sound like a cheap so and so but I hate to give good money for a small piece that would be thrown out anyway. :D