Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Little bugs in compost

Post Thanks / Like

Default Little bugs in compost

I have a worm bed I made with a 48 qt. ice chest. I had it set up for about 4 months now. I have regular earthworms in it that I had left over from fishing trips. I made a mixture of shredded newspaper, peat moss, and cow manure, from Lowe's. It was ( the cow manure) bagged or processed for sale. Any way, I raised a lot of small worms in this mixture. I feed them Oats, cornmeal, and eggshells. All went through a blender and mixed well. No problem at all for months. All new hatched worms did fine for a while. I raise the burlap sack twice a week to feed them. I started seeing small, small insects on top of the soil. They looked silver color with the light behind me. Then I stopped seeing the small worms on the top. I started moving the soil around and didn't see any small worms at all. Only a bunch of adults. Sorry for the long winded article, but I wanted to see where did I go wrong. Moisture, temperature, all were good. I thought I was on to knowing what to do. My question is I need help. Will I have to get rid of those bugs. Change the compose and start over. Please, If anybody came across this problem please let me know. Really need help. Thanks for reading this and hope I can solve the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Scoot - I replied to your pm.
    Randy Andres