Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: GLSM Labor Day Weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Default GLSM Labor Day Weekend

Crappie bite was solid this past weekend at Grand Lake. Didn't fish too much, too freaking hot Fri-Sun! Got into several crappies (20-25). Most were keeper sized (15-16). Used black grub chartreuse tail or watermelon twister tail, also used a purple tube. Color didn't seem to matter much, but we have started using a smaller hook size. That has made a difference. We only fished from shore. Caught more around rocky banks than brush.

I was told once the front came through yesterday that the good bite went to zero. Buddy fished but in 4 hours only managed 7 but 4 were 10+ inches.

We also got several channel cats and a couple bass and a few blue gills. Channels were good sized, 2+ lbs all of them with a 3.5 lber.

Good luck at Brookville this upcoming weekend. Hope the rain helps. Didn't get but .25 inch of rain at GLSM but water level was higher than the other Labor Day weekends we've been there.

Post Thanks / Like

How did the water look?

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a good time....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Water was green but no scum. Honestly its not that much greener than what we've experienced at Brookville that past 3 times down there this summer. The pulp just isn't as think as it is a GLSM. The algae from the last two years didn't develop this year. It was the regular blue-green algae that's been there for the last 2 decades. Water clarity was about 4 inches. The last two summers with the cyanobacteria that produced the nasty liquid scum, there was no visibility. Was really surprised at the boat traffic on the lake. Many pontoons and speed boats. Never really noticed any fishing boats unfortunately. We leave ours at home so we can take it to Brookville to fish the lake. We don't hit the channels at GLSM for whatever reason. Crappie fishing in our channel is usually pretty good. Nice blend of brush, submerged objects, and riprap/rocky area. We have a few deep spots that are reachable from shore. I'm not a casting junking, more of a dip stick, as my wife says.......:D

I did hear of a small walleye being caught up there this weekend while a guy was pan fishing. Wonder if it was saugeye that survived the the '09 and '10 nasty algae blooms......There was only one stocking that I remember and it was spring '09 before that nasty crap developed. Let's hope the poop regulations going into effect this winter continue to keep the nasty algae out of the lake. At least the current stuff hasn't produced the toxins that other stuff did.

Post Thanks / Like

spooner is there alot of docks on GLSM.....I havent been there since I was a kid......got a little more vac time nxt year so Im looking into a few long weekends at a few diff places.....

Post Thanks / Like

jeepguy there are several "public docks" at the two state parks where the public ramps are. If you look to rent a place I know there are a few rental cottages in Montazuma off of 703 but don't know who actually owns them. The state park in St. Marys has rental units too. check the odnr's website. St. Marys side has more public docks as its bigger than the Celina side. There is also public docks off of lake shore NE of the light house on the corner but not really any place to stay. I don't know the rules about tying up over night....... Hope to see you up there sometime!

Post Thanks / Like

spooner.....more so asking about docks to fish...shooting docks......is there alot of private docks????....ha ha ha yea but thanks for the info so far, info on where to stay will help for sure ....we went channel cat fishing there a very long time ago....from what I can remember it was a big lake that wasnt real deep, kinda got choppy....but we caught alot of channels.....would love to target crappie on some lakes that I never have this upcoming year.....thanks again, God bless.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh heck yes. You'll want to stay on the south side of the lake. The north side is mainly seawall or boat lifts and definitely spread out. Much higher concentration of docks and wooden decks/seawalls on the south side. Plus most channels have good brush in the water. Plus most people on the south side don't use boat lifts, more toons in the water at private docks. Most docks on the north side are state controlled so its more like having marinas, 30-50 boats stacked in rows.

It is shallow, 6 fow on average but some of the channels get down to 10-12 fow. Just got to be careful on the SE corner. Getting into what's called Otterbein you really have to go straight in from the buoys. Always the best bet is to go straight in at the buoys and straight out when leaving a channel. You can get into some 2-3 fow cutting corners. It can get choppy on the main lake but channels are where you'll spend most of your time. Most people drift to target the catfish on the main lake. Water temps are certainly cooling in the low 70s this past weekend. I use this website YSI - Remote Monitoring and Control System to get real time water temps. Says its 63 degrees this afternoon. Crappie bite should be getting good if we can stay 65-55 for the next few months!

Post Thanks / Like

James just have my brother take you out when you are up there (JMK), he is a dock shooting fool!!

Post Thanks / Like

The alum treatments and dredging seem to be helping the lake and apparently there aren`t many people keeping fish which isn`t hurting the fishing either. Hopefully the lake will continue to improve...