Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Devils Kitchen???

moto45 Guest

Default Devils Kitchen???

This, I know, is a tough lake to fish but has anyone had any success stories? I've been on this lake many times and even navigating around the standing and submerged timber can be tough not to mention the clear water. I know it has big bass that are equally elusive but are periodically caught. I have to think that it may hold some secrects though and if the fish are located and they are active, it could be a record day. Any info or thoughts on this mysterious lake?

Post Thanks / Like

Ive toyed around with the kitchen a few times over the years. Its hard to fish but its the prettiest place I can think of to fish in this part of the state. Its probably known far more for its redear fishing than crappie. I never fished it for crappie and dont know of anyone personally that does. Lots of bass there too, but you have to downsize your line to a maximum of 10 and preferrably less to increase your catch. I know for a fact one of the tournament legends in this part of the state was known to use 6 lb line in tournaments there with his jig and pigs! Try sticking a bass with a fiber weed gaurd and a 4/0 hook with 6lb line.....no thanks! Anyway, it would be interesting to see if anyone crappie fishes there. Ive just not considered it but that doesnt mean im not missing out.

Post Thanks / Like

hello carppoop have you been fishing crab lately? how is it looking? buddy and i caught some nice crappie at old herrin lake sat...
    Rodger, So.Ill.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw where you had done well the other day at that herrin lake. I have never been there in my life but i think i might try it. Think you could give me directions? I havent been to Crab lately but its nearing spawning time in a couple of weeks. Im heading to Arkansas on Friday and will be out of town for 5 days. Ill let you know any hot spots i find. Im going to eastern arkansas so its not that far down there from southern illinois.

moto45 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rodgerso.illinois
    hello carppoop have you been fishing crab lately? how is it looking? buddy and i caught some nice crappie at old herrin lake sat...
    Just wondering where did you find the crappie on the lake? Depth, structure, eastern facing cove, water temp? Type of presentation, live bait?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

i have talked to folks that catch good slabs out of the kitchen and the one thign they always say is "if they are 4 feet deep everywhere else, they will be 12 feet deep in the kitchen". don't know if it is true, but these are the kind of people i tend to just believe. they could say a griffin came down and took a cow and i would think about it a little beofre refuting. heck, the place is gorgeous, give a try or three and give us a report. i doubt you'll come back sorry.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Post Thanks / Like

we fished the lake off 148 down past the prison road to the right..down bout 1/2 mile then take left, next road right says herrin lake, fished along the points where moss was coming out ,used blk/charteruse jig,minnows didnt work that day...headed to Ark. uh my buddy use to live there , showed me picture of 4 crappie totalled 13 lbs...ive heard lots good stories bout down there...peckerwood lake suppose to be good one...hope you catch lots..look forward to report on them
    Rodger, So.Ill.