Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shallow water crappie on Truman

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shallow water crappie on Truman

I tried fishing yesterday in the wind in some deeper water, when I decided to give that up I went into a cove with lots of stick ups. The water was only about 6' deep in the deepest part, they started biting finally. I was dipping my minnows on the side protected from the wind and had a couple of trees that had multiple fish on it. The size of the fish were a mix between dinks and 11" keepers, decided not to keep any today, I just wanted to feel that thump since it has been awhile since I have had a chance to fish. Never tried any jigs, mainly because I was unsure what colors would be working and I heard minnows were doing so good, but if anybody could give me some advice on what colors they are having some luck on I would sure appreciate it. I need to make a run to Tightwad C-store to stock up on some carrot jigs anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

great report, don't you just love it when what you try really works, I always have good luck with black/chartruse and blue/chartruse and blue/white good luck

Post Thanks / Like

You will get a lot of color's thrown at you on this post, I have found blue/white with orange head jig works in both the grand and the osage arm, then the capps/coleman green/chart with a chart head jig work very good in both arms, but orange and chartuse work fine also, along with black and chartuse..... if you are not catching anything at all then change colors and see if that helps, a little expermenting can go along ways....good luck..
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

I like a pumpkin seed and chart white and chart red blue and white also. So are the fish now that its cooler gonna start hitting closer to the banks. I havent ever fished the fall bite much I always bow hunt instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Try anything, if you know fish are there, just try all your colors till you find the one they really like that day. They may bite on more than one color but one will be the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I have most of those colors, but it can't hurt to grab a few more. I pretty much just stay stocked with black char. and electric chicken, the old reliables for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Saturday I was going toe to toe with those in the boat using minnows. I was using electric chicken panfish pro assasins from Everhearts. They are shaped like tiny shad. The bite was not as commited as on minnows. Frequently if I missed one I'd tell one of the others fishing minnows to dip the exact spot and they'd catch it. Still, I could have limited out on just that jig alone. I like jig fishing when alone. Saves time and lets you cover more water.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Blk/Yellow and Blk/Pink have been killer on the Grand this year. Wht/Char is one of my favorites. I always go to it in cleaner water if the bite is slow and go to the blk/yellow in dirtier water if the bite is slow. Congrats on a good day. The carrots at the C-store are made by one of our crappie.com members from the Truman area. He will be getting back from Iraq real soon and will replenish the C-store stock after he gets back. They are great baits and I use them a lot.