Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2# Test Nanofil

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2# Test Nanofil

Went looking for some crappie this morning. Found them about 8 am. Caught probably 25 - 30, including some big gills and a couple of small yellows. This was a great opportunity to work with the 2# test exclusively. Here are my findings on it thus far.

First off, if you're going to use the 2# test, you'll probably be better off with a leader of either mono or fluorocarbon (as a buffering stretch factor). I say this because Nanofil has NO stretch what-so-ever, and the test rating is very close to it's published 2# breaking limit. If you try to "set" the hook, the line will break! I lost 1/2 doz. jigs, due to my to being too aggressive on setting the hook. Didn't have any leader material with me, so tied direct, which is what was causing me to break off so much. After loosing several jigs, I got the "hang" of it however.

Now I've used 2# test mono, on my7' B n' M, quite a bit over many years of crappie and trout fishing, so I know how to set with it. With Nanofil, you MUST either just start reeling, or slightly raise the rod when you feel a take. No worries, you'll be locked up on the fish! Any aggressive hook setting will loose you jigs, with this light line rating. Stepping up to 4# test might help, but I determine what I'm going to use for line test by depth and speed control, not by how much weight it can sustain.

Caught some decent sized crappie today as well, so I know this Nanofil is equally strong to mono.....it's just that the "give" is not there. Once you realize that and adapt, you'll be fine. The casting distance and sensitivity, I believe, cannot be equaled, with any other line on the market today. I'll definitely need a couple of more sessions with it to feel totally comfortable. This line is worth your time and effort, if you're a serious panfisher.

Finally, for you folks thinking about using this line for ice fishing, you must realize that it is a floating braid. If you can adapt to that, fine. If not, you might want to consider Suffix 832 instead, which sinks. JMO.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

What knots are you using to tie the Nanofil to the leader? I'm asking because I'm member of another forum where there have been several Nanofil threads. People have been having lots of problems with knots, and some have already abandoned Nanofil because of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Please understand I have no idea what knot you used but I have used the 2lb nano and unless I tie the knot they show in the package I have the same trouble you did. Once I used their knot the problem stopped but I quit fishing it over brush piles as I get down in with them and loose a lot of jigs and it takes me to long to mess with the special knot. If fishing open water I will use it again as it is ultra sensetive and casts well.
    Fish like your hungry!

Post Thanks / Like

In the above review from this morning's outing, I tied direct to the jigs, using the double Palomar. I sincerely believe the break-offs I experienced were due to me setting the hook as if I were fishing with mono vs a no-stretch braid! Takes a little getting use to, with this new Nanofil stuff.

I just put a 4# test fluoro leader on this rig a few hours ago. Used the Alberto knot (with a dab of "Zap-A-Gap" glue). Same joint I've used on some 10# & 12# Nanofil, with leaders, that I have on two other spinning rigs I use for bass. Have been using these heavier lines for over 6 weeks now with no break offs at the joining knot, or at the lures I've been using. So, it's been working for me. Only time will tell if the 4# fluoro leader on the 2# test Nanofil will work out.

One final note. I have experienced some line twist, believe it or not! I think this is due to the roundness of the line. Nothing that can't be dealt with, just something to be aware of. This white line will take on the coloration of the water you are fishing in as well.

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I, too, have noticed the twist. But it doesn't make any difference in the casting or spooling. I've been using 4# for several weeks in all kinds of weather and have yet to experience any loops popping off the spool. I gotta try the Alberto knot. Concerning the breakage, I have noticed that you have to be very careful when tying the double polamar knot. When you bring the loop through the second time, make sure there aren't any twists in the loop. I have found that any twist in the loop when you drop the jig through the knot will probably break when you cinch it down.
    Last edited by jigflinger; 09-03-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: additional info

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you calling the Albright knot the Alberto? Can't find any reference for the Alberto. The double Albright just won't work with the finer Nan o fil lines for me. Can't get the knot tight enough to put any glue on it. Help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been fishing with 4# Nanofil on my dock shooting rod, I tie direct to the jig using a palomar knot with no problems, but I make sure I wet knot before pulling it tight. Using this set up I have landed blue gills,crappie, a 18" bass couple between 0-12 inches a 24" northern pike. No knot problems for me I did loose another northern maybe 18", right at the boat as he straighten my small #6 hook out. So far my only problem with nanofil line is the price $19.95 for 150 yards.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

that is the worst high price line i ever threw away,paid 20.00 for a 100yard role and was not worth 2 cents !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!
    Likes travish10 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigflinger View Post
    Are you calling the Albright knot the Alberto? Can't find any reference for the Alberto. The double Albright just won't work with the finer Nan o fil lines for me. Can't get the knot tight enough to put any glue on it. Help would be appreciated.
    Yes, the Alberto is a double Albright, where you start winding UP from the loop (I use 9 turns) and then back down again over the turns you've already made and back out the loop in the same direction you entered it. Wet the knot, then pull both double lines slowly. You should have no problems. I've done it this way many, many times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MEATGETTER View Post
    that is the worst high price line i ever threw away,paid 20.00 for a 100yard role and was not worth 2 cents !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Interesting comment. You offer no rhyme or reason for your assessment, consequently no one can form an logical opinion. Please explain what it is that you did not line about the line?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast