Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Countdown question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Countdown question

I've always either trolled or tightlined fishing but after readin some articles and posts i'm curious about how many fish i've missed not castin to them. When their shallow i'll cast to the banks thats a no brainer but when and where am i missin some good oppurtunities? Are you establishin a depth off your located fish on the graph? I always usually fish 2 1/16th ounce jigs whats the magic ratio? Thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like

I like slinging plastic and counting down. It's great technique on lakes that fish stack in front of gates, walls, bluffs and such. It just depends on hooowww far your throwing, how heavy of line, wind, sometimes depth. If I can use a rig like yours or 1/16 above an 1/8, 1/16 above a 1/4, 2-1/8's, or 1/8 above a 1/4, throw her out feed the line and start counting. Fish a depth for a bit, then increase till you find them. 2 guys makes it faster on depth and color. You can get in the zone heavy sometimes, pulling a fish or two every cast. Makes it easy for the next trip. When the fish turn on you'll start sticking them on the fall, and you can adjust your depth accordingly. Practice and patience and a bag of jigheads, you'll get her tuned in and then it's just a good ole time.

Post Thanks / Like

My method is very similar to crappiedoc's, except I prefer a single, 1/32 oz marabou jig. Sometimes I use a 1/16 oz in deeper water. It works for everything: crappie, bluegill, largemouth, white bass, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it over shallower brush piles alot in clearer water for depths up to 15 feet. I use a single road runner head with a bobby garland baby shad body. I will work the brush to where my jig is just ticking the brush and if you quit getting bites try a different direction. This also works great on steep rock banks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mkeller View Post
    I use it over shallower brush piles alot in clearer water for depths up to 15 feet. I use a single road runner head with a bobby garland baby shad body. I will work the brush to where my jig is just ticking the brush and if you quit getting bites try a different direction. This also works great on steep rock banks.
    I've done well doing that myself, sometimes it's a necessity when your in the backseat. I've also used slider rigs on brushpiles and logjams, it's a little tough at first, but be patient and let the rig do it's thing. They're snagless and sometimes you just have to have a little faith. This approach is also good in the clear water shallow structure. Great info guys.

Post Thanks / Like

your right Crappiedoc, sliders do work very well in this type of situation, the slower you work it and stay patient the more fish you catch. I resemble it to bass fishing with a plastic worm , you come to a limb and just work it over and let fall. I usually use a 1/8 oz slider head for feel and because the wind is usually blowing here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mkeller View Post
    your right Crappiedoc, sliders do work very well in this type of situation, the slower you work it and stay patient the more fish you catch. I resemble it to bass fishing with a plastic worm , you come to a limb and just work it over and let fall. I usually use a 1/8 oz slider head for feel and because the wind is usually blowing here!
    That's a very good analogy!!!