HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cave Run Camp Ground Info Needed

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cave Run Camp Ground Info Needed

Name:  100_0179.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  42.5 KBSent a pm to ekySlabber but thought I'd ask everyone. Any suggestions on Cave Run Campgrounds? Will be tent camping and would need electric. Something close to the water. I know there are several but hoping someone with knowledge of the area could chime in. Thanks!
    You can't finish what you don't start

Post Thanks / Like

I stay at Twin Knobs a couple weeks in the spring and a copuple weeks in the fall each year. Great campground, well kept and very nice place to camp. This place has great campsites. I know loops 'A' & 'J' have electric campsites and trails to the waters edge. I take a boat so I don't know much about fishing in these areas but you can get to the water pretty easy. If you have a boat the campground has it's own ramp available to campers, or you can use the Alfrey ramp which requires a fee to be paid for it's use. There is also a beach if you are interested in that sort of thing.

The showerhouses are always well kept and if you look around you can usually get a spot within 2 or 3 sites of fresh water as well, as these are spaced frequently around each loop.

Each loop has a camp host and they, along with those who work the entrance are more than happy to answer any questions you may have. I am not sure but I think that after labor day they stop taking reservations so sites are first come first served, I know loop 'A' is always like that.

Zilpo is on the other side of the lake and I have never stayed there but folks that I know that have speak highly of it too.

No mention of a schedule but I think both of these campgrounds close for the winter at then end of October, I know for sure Twin Knobs does. If you Google these campgrounds there are several sites that incude the camping rules, schedule and maps that would help you plan a little in advance.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Shadetree~~Great information. I'll be bring my boat and hope to catch a few crappie. Now that the weather is cooling down I'm looking at the next few weeks to make the trip. Thanks again for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey downwind I think Zilpo and twin knobs would both be your best best like shadetree said. I dont have any experience camping at either but I know both are frequently used and well liked. Ill check your pm btw.

Post Thanks / Like

Do either of these camp sites put me close to some good crappie fishing? First time on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Both have quick access to good fishing. Zilpo is more mid lake and twin knobs is a bit closer to the dam, but you have two big creek scotts and caney by twin knobs and the big flats by zilpo so either will be good. Theyre only about a 5 minute boat ride apart so you should be fine with either.

Post Thanks / Like

I stay at Twin Knobs great place to camp. I live about 45 min from the lake you can put in at Twin Knobs and get bait at Scott Creek Marina and go out fishing. I would recommend fishing the channel ledges now. I was pulling cranks and burning them up a week or two ago and I was fishing down at the mouth of the Licking river and working back up river but have not been in a couple weeks so could have changed. Water temp is still in the 80's so they're probably still in a little deeper water on cover, like I said had my best luck at the mouth of the river along the channel theres alot of submerged trees on both sides. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information Powertroll! Being new to this lake ~~Are there other areas to be wary of? You mention submerged trees on both sides down by the river but I take it the channel is wide open?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Downwind, most the major creeks and coves on the lake have standing timber in them so be careful. Grab a map and it shows all the timber. All of beaver creek, big/little cave, back of Caney etc. is flooded timber and the licking river is the same minus the boat cut and channel but they arent marked. Beaver is all flooded timber but there is a channel marked with bouys you can run. Just take your time if you decide to head up the river, its basically flooded forest, and thick.

Post Thanks / Like

X's 2 what Slabber said alot of the timber is just under the surface so go slow when up in the river or coves till you figure it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast