Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: GPS Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS Question

I recently purchased a hand GPS unit the Lowrance H20 & the hot spots fishing map for the southern states.
    My question is once you put the hot spots card in the unit & turn it on, The unit never gets a fixed location it keeps blinking showing no fix & a message at the bottom says its "Waiting for NMEA GPS Serial Data" Does anyone know what this means?

Are you not able to get a fixed postion & move around the lake & follow the mapping (meaning can I not put in at one boat dock & punch another location in on the lake & go to it by using the hot spots map)

Please Advise,

Post Thanks / Like

Waiting for NMEA GPS Serial Data may mean that it wants the data from your computer and the infomation from the CD that you put on your PC.

Not sure how Lowrance does it but Garmin sells a CD that you load onto your computer and it contains all the map data. They you have to connect your gps to your computer via a special data cable and download the computer data into your GPS memory card.

Your gps should be in display mode or off gps mode when you do this. Remember unless you have your pc out doors where the gps can see the satellites the gps will not know where it's at. GPS unit's have to be able to have a straight line of view to the sky in order to receive the gps satellite signals.

Most gps units have a demo mode that can be used when working with the gps unit indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmac
    I recently purchased a hand GPS unit the Lowrance H20 & the hot spots fishing map for the southern states.
    My question is once you put the hot spots card in the unit & turn it on, The unit never gets a fixed location it keeps blinking showing no fix & a message at the bottom says its "Waiting for NMEA GPS Serial Data" Does anyone know what this means?

Are you not able to get a fixed postion & move around the lake & follow the mapping (meaning can I not put in at one boat dock & punch another location in on the lake & go to it by using the hot spots map)

Please Advise,
    Regards,

Moose1am

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Please Advise,
    I have the H2O also but never seen that message. It sounds like something is turned on that shouldn't be. Try giving them a call. 1-800-324-1356. Let us know what the fix is in case I do something silly.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS Help

Hey fellows I called Lowrance & after a 45 minute wait I finally got thru to someone.

Not sure what the problem was but the nice gal on the end of line just had me to shut the unit off then press & hold the pages button & the power button together while I turned it on & walla it works beautiful now.

Also you dont have to press & hols every time just had to do it the once, i guess its some sort of reset button.

Anyways thanks for you'lls help!!!:D

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Hey fellows I called Lowrance & after a 45 minute wait I finally got thru to someone.

Not sure what the problem was but the nice gal on the end of line just had me to shut the unit off then press & hold the pages button & the power button together while I turned it on & walla it works beautiful now.

Also you dont have to press & hols every time just had to do it the once, i guess its some sort of reset button.

Anyways thanks for you'lls help!!!:D
    Thanks for the info. I wote that in my manual - just in case.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va