Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie hitting in Indiana yet ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie hitting in Indiana yet ?

Water temps around 40* around here in the north central part of the state. Any Hoosiers "slaying " crappie yet ? What's the best condition, water temp., and time to do the best fishing ? -Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Kyron4:
    Have not been out yet this year but have a friend that went to Patoka this weekend. I have yet to hear his report.

We have a Indiana Forum on crappie.com and there are a lot of guys from Up north of 40. I live south of 40 near Evansville, IN. The Indiana forms are there but hard to find. They are hidden in in the State Forums link. Click the State Forums link and it will open up and show you all the different crappie.com State Forums.

You all up in Northern IN should be getting into the PRESPAWN conditions really soon. Not sure how far up north you are but you will generally speaking be about a week or two behind the Southern Tip of IN when it comes to prime spawning times. It just depends on the weather patterns this year.

What lakes do you fish. If they are small or shallow they will warm up faster than the deeper and larger reservoirs.

Water temps at Patoka Last week were reported to be in 45 by my friend. But his temp gauge reads lower than mine so I'll be that the water was really around 50 deg F at Patoka. That's about the right temp for the crappie to start moving to towards the spawning areas but not entering them. They most likely are stacking up at the mouths of the creek and or along the mouth of bays and waiting for the water to warm some more before they go to the beds.

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4
    Water temps around 40* around here in the north central part of the state. Any Hoosiers "slaying " crappie yet ? What's the best condition, water temp., and time to do the best fishing ? -Thanks
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4
    40* is as cold as the water got round here this winter. best condition? as long as water ain't red muddy. water temp? 40-80 is when we do the best. time? anytime you get time ...go!

Post Thanks / Like

I am by Potato Creek,and saterday, saw a couple guys minnow fishin. they said one small crappie and 5 12-14 in. bass. I usually start when the water hits 5o degrees... if the weather holds, mabye 3 more weeks..