Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7ft Ultralight vs 7ft Light spinning rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default 7ft Ultralight vs 7ft Light spinning rod

Well I purchased a Bass Pros Crappie max 7' UL with fast action tip a few months ago. I've been using it here and there, but I'm debating if a light action rod would be better. I have not perfected the art of setting the hook with the UL rod, so I've lost some crappies and bigger bass but I've also caught some of my bigger crappies on it. I'm thinking that with a slightly stiffer rod my hooksets will be better, but just wanteed to get some opinons before buying another rod.

Other info: Reels: switching between a shimano Sedona 500 and a Sahara 1000.
    Line: Suffix 3lb orange, Suffix 4lb elite, P Line Fluoroclear 4lb, Powerpro 10lb braid
    Lures: 1/32 and 1/16 hair/tube jigs, roadrunners, micro spinners, and a occasional slip bobber set up.

This weeked I'm going to be casting hair jigs to rocky shorelines with a bit of current.
    Last edited by MrBlackIS300; 09-01-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 7' Bn'M rod. The "Sam's Super-Sensitive" rod to be exact. This rod is what I would consider to be UL. Underneath is supported a 750 series Shimano Symetre spinning reel. Have never had a problem setting the hook on either crappie, yellows or bass. Casts like a dream with 2# test mono. However, just last week I've switched the line over to the new 2# test Berkley Nanofil. This should be very interesting!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlackIS300 View Post
    Lures: 1/32 and 1/16 hair/tube jigs, roadrunners, micro spinners, and a occasional slip bobber set up.
    With lures like that, you shouldn't have any problems setting the hook with a UL rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Must be my technique Doh.

Post Thanks / Like

An ultra light action rod will cast the 1/32 weight better. But the light action would work better with the 1/16oz and your hook ups would also increase. If your casting the 1/32 and letting it drop to say the 18 to 20 foot depth range the stiffer rod will set the hook better. Also try to find a black nickle hook and not the cheap bronze or gold/red hooks. Black nickle will have a sewing needle sharp point that wont roll over, never rust, and they will be a lighter wire. They cost a little more but when you set the hook it wont slip and will go right into the roof off the mouth. The days of having a large fish pull loose will be in the past.
    Likes Slabs4Dinner LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If your not afraid to write the check, a loomis s782 rod would be the perfect choice for these weights using 4# line. The rod will also weigh about 1/2 the weight of the bass pro rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Must be my technique Doh.
    Maybe your hooks are a little dull. Another thing to try is "kirbing" your hooks. That's where you just slightly bend the hook to the side. I believe it really helps on your hookups. It's an old technique, but it doesn't get a lot of press.

Anyway, that's just a couple of ideas that are cheaper than buying a new rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Hooks seem pretty sharp. I've been using Jasons Jigs sickles, VMC jigs, and only Gamakatsu when I go plain.

We are casting and letting it drop on a really steep shoreline.

Should I just tighten up the line and lift? I've been fishing bass and pike so long I tend to be a bit trigger happy when setting the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

With jigs like you're using, I just flick my wrist to set the hook. I sure don't cross their eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I purchased a Bass Pros Crappie max 7' UL with fast action tip a few months ago. I've been using it here and there, but I'm debating if a light action rod would be better......
    You're confusing action with power. A rod can never have light action. It can be light powered though. Below is previous post of mine on the subject (Yes I am too lazy to retype, cut and paste is much quicker):

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ml#post1631352

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Good question and it is one that lots of people confused. Action is where the rod bends. Power is the amount (of weight) it takes to bend the rod.
    Chart of one manufacture's action (sometimes referred to as speed):

Power is usually described by terms such as light, medium, heavy. NOT terms like moderate, slow, fast as these are action terms.

Also a rod description doesn't hold true from brand to brand or even within the same brand. A Light powered but fast action inshore rod might be similar to Medium Heavy powered but Moderate action bass rod.

Sensitivity is another term that has different meanings depending on user. Some refer to sensitive has having a easily bent tip (ie slow action), the more correct usage (IMO) is that it transmit vibration easily.

For casting jigs, I prefer an UL or L powered (depending on jig weight) fast to extra fast action. This usually means a spin-jig blank (which tend to be a faster action than most other styles but still have a light tip and very very sensitive (vibrations sense)) which usually are 6'6" or 7'.

For a more dabbling/dipping/pitching jig approach to a very specific target, I prefer a Light powered but moderate action rod that is 11-14' long.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast