Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Greeson/Crappie camp

Post Thanks / Like

Question Lake Greeson/Crappie camp

New to board so bear with me! Checking to see how Crappie camp turned out. First week in April is normal time for my crew to hit Greeson as a yearly trip, with most of the crew coming from Illinois (I am from Little Rock)
    This year had some technical problems so we got familys together and tried to fish the last week in March.
    Water temp never got right so it was kind of slow. Also,we stayed at South part of lake for first time so that may have made a difference since it is so deep and clear.
    My question if anyone can help, is we really liked the lodging at the south end and the price was right especially considering we had boat slips and did not have to put in & out twice a day but it looks like it will take a bunch of learning how to fish that end, compared to the north end.
    Long story short, we fished the north end many years but the choice of lodging got out of the working mans price range if you want to be on the lake and get a slip, and, reasonable lodging is away from the lake, meaning putting in and out a couple times a day if you didnt want to be on the lake during the slow periods.
    Does anyone have some tips for fishing the south end? (Cowhide Cove and vicinity) Making the trip to Daisy or Self Creek area may not always be an option weather-wise.
    Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks. Ken H.

Post Thanks / Like

contact Darryl Morris of familyfishingtrips.com, he would be more than happy to tell you about the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmbutler47
    contact Darryl Morris of familyfishingtrips.com, he would be more than happy to tell you about the lake.
    Thanks! I am familiar with Darryl, and Jerry Blake. They are very helpful and probably know the lake better than anyone. I just cant seem to get a plan together to book a trip with one of them although it is high on my priority list.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I just had a trip with them on March 16th, go to darryls site and check out our stringer!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmbutler47
    I just had a trip with them on March 16th, go to darryls site and check out our stringer!!!!
    Nice! Ive got to hook up with Darryl or Jerry.......Is it safe to assume you fish Pickthorn? I hit it every now & then when I need to stay close to The Rock and dont have much time, just not often enough to develop patterns.

Post Thanks / Like

I HATE pickthorne!!!! I have never had much luck no matter when I go or what I try. I like conway, its quick to get to the backside from where I live, I will occassionally go to barnett. It is about 20min north. I fish a lot of creeks and holes i just wander upon. I am going to try to do more at the WMA near bald knob. It always seems that when I have a good day to go the wind is blowing crazy, so I dont go as much as I like, but who does!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Amen on the wind thing! I like Conway also, but it seems as if the lake looks like glass when I hit the ramp but as soon as the trailer tires touch the water the wind kicks up! (I thought it was just me)
    On Pickthorn, I never have high expectations. I have talked to a guy that does pretty good and his method is dropping jigs down beside the standing timber in the channel on the side with all the timber. But I am a minnow-man and havent caught on to jig fishing yet. (Ill figure it out some day)
    On Barnett, havent been there in years, but love the lake. At the risk of being booted off the board, I used to go there to bass fish with pretty good results, but didnt try for crappie. I have seen the light and have changed my ways! Is it a good crappie lake?