Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another fish kill

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Another fish kill

Sorry to say, but I'm hearing there's a multi-species fish kill happening right now at Glen Elder. From what I've gathered it's about the same thing as Kanopolis. HOPEFULLY, we can get some further info and the latest rains will help diminish it.Doh

Post Thanks / Like

After visitng with Scott Waters, the Glen fisheries biologist this morning....that is just a rumor!!! Scott was out on the lake yesterday investigating that rumor started by a baitshop. He said they found a total of 10 dead fish, mostly rough fish. Information about serious matters like fish kills needs to come from legimate sources. To spread a rumor like this is not good.

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting, why would a baitshop start a rumor to kill it's business? Furthermore, how would anybody even now it was this alledged baitshop? And if so, which one, so we can avoid it and send a clear message. As it stands now with this post, all the baitshops are guilty.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thank God it is rumor, as I was planning my first trip there and was preparing to catch and keep every fish in the lakeRofl. On a serious note I cannot believe how great that lake is producing for every species, when was the last time fishing was this good, just curious to hear anyones thoughts on this.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard the same rumor at the little bait shop last weekend. Supposedly, large walleyes were dying all over the lake. Nice folks there, but I think they had been given some wrong information. I fished there for three days and saw three dead walleyes - they were short fish that were most likely mishandled. Walleye fishing remains good. Caught some crappies on the river channels too.

Post Thanks / Like

The point is: You did not get your information from an official source and chose to publish it on the internet. Very irresponsible to hear a rumor and to repeat it on here without verification.

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Fish Kill at Glen Elder

I just wanted to clarify that I did receive a call this weekend about "a bunch of dead fish of all species at Glen Elder". After searching the reservoir with another KDWPT employee we were only able to find a couple of dead channel catfish, a few white bass, a larger river carpsucker, and a couple of walleye.

Over the last 4-6 weeks, I routinely see 1-2 dead walleye, a crappie, and maybe a white bass or two on the lake when I'm out working, but nothing out of the ordinary. Some of this is just natural mortality caused by summer heat, water temperature changes, stress, predators, disease, etc. while some may be catch and release mortality, especially with the short walleye.

We (KDWPT) appreciate the public looking out for fish kills and other problems which may be occurring on our waters. I'll continue to investigate any reports I receive and "dig a little deeper" into the situation if it is warranted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ksfish99 View Post
    The point is: You did not get your information from an official source and chose to publish it on the internet. Very irresponsible to hear a rumor and to repeat it on here without verification.
    Oh, I see! Kinda like the baitshop clause in your first post, which you happily pinned on Scott's shoulders as official. Furthermore, my post was "hearing" which tends to lend itself to rumor, unlike your official explanation that COULD cost some local businesses money. Also, in explanation of my first post I stated similarities to Kanopolis, which I believe is stated as safe for recreational activities by KDWPT. We all have concerns, some answers are nice too. But I never left any entity or business holding the bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Nevermind

Post Thanks / Like

#$%^&, These are the 2 lakes I fished all of the time until I moved to Olathe. Wait a minute, I still only fish these 2 lakes but not near as often. I'm glad to hear about Glen just being a rumor. Hard to imagine as much as the lake as been up they were having problems. Kanopolis doesnt surprise me. I just wish fish kills would only involve the %$#@ fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast