Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a quick question about crappie beds.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have a quick question about crappie beds.

I am getting ready to make a couple of artificial trees out of some PVC pipe. I could have sworn that I read somewhere that if you rubbed some sort of oil on them before you dropped them into the water that it would help in the algea growth. Is this true and what should I use? Thank in advance for the help.
    "They call me The Crappie Menace."

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never heard that, but thats not sayn much.

I always rough mine up with sandpaper before i drop them. It help algea attach and grow faster than if left slick.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All I've read was to sand the pipe some. That's a new one on me.:o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of rubbn anything on it but,never know....went to some of my beds i put in nov 13 last year,water was clear an we could see the beds,never sanded or did anything to them an they were about twice as big around due to algae build up...

Post Thanks / Like

Na, you don't use oil, this time of year you dond't really need to
    do anything other than drop them in a likely place, just make sure
    you can find it.

John b.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently I must have made that up on my own then. Thanks for the advice fellas. Honestly roughy them up never really crossed my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DABE View Post
    Apparently I must have made that up on my own then. Thanks for the advice fellas. Honestly roughy them up never really crossed my mind.
    I recall someone on the kansas board saying spray them down with buttermilk but I dont know how that would help. I just throw them in so far havent had a problem catching fish off of them. I put some in last year the next week I won a tourney off of them. So I would just throw them in.

Post Thanks / Like

pvc must be different put some in at the loz 2years ago when the lake was drawn down for the winter level could see the tops of one of then not a drop on them the 2 shallow ones are now sanded and growing nicely?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another question. I was considering putting these out on Truman and heard from a respected member of this site that one would possibly need a permit to do so. I called the Corps of Engineers today and the guy basically sounded like he didn't understand what I was talking about but went on to say that I would probably need an evaluated permit and would have to own some adjecent real estate next to the water to do this. Is this true as far as needed a permit to put out a crappie bed on them waters and would anyone know who I whould actually need to talk too to obtain one? I don't want to put out any illegal beds and cause someone to get in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of permit, just don't let me see you put em in, or I will help ya keep the fish off of it!!! RoflRoflRoflRofl We put some in last winter and never have fished them. Once the water is down it is amazing how much cover there is that never gets fished!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast