Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Melvern 8\24 and problems with baitshop

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Melvern 8\24 and problems with baitshop

I got the chance to fish with my son who lives out of town 3 days last week. Decided wednesday we would fish at Melvern as I felt this would be our best chance for catching quanity and quality.

As I am still very bitter I am probably going to type more then I should but I cannot resist. I have given myself plenty of cool off time and I am still Never going back to "this baitshop" in Hillsdale KS.

I have a 25 gallon baitwell with a floating airator and I require at least 15 gallons of water to get to float. For at least 3 years every time I get minnows when it is hot I always get at least 15 gallons of water from the store I get minnows. It is almost never a big deal with anyone. Several weeks ago this same gal that was working threw a fit because I wanted water, she continued about it after I left the store as my wife was still in there listening to her. Fast forward to Wednesday same girl working and I need minnows and water, and as she is getting my minnows I explain why i need the water and that I had tried using tap water with the bait keep alive powder and I had them all die by the time I got to the lake. I told her we were going to Melvern and I needed the water to insure they stayed alive. She very snidely asked why I just didn't buy my minnows at Melvern. I explained that the minnow count was not very good there and she then said well don't think I am going to give you any free minnows. I asked her to dump out the bucket and I went across the street to the BP station (Rands) and the nice gal there not only gave me a good count but had no problems with me getting water. I fish at least 3 times a week and buy a lot of supplies, food, gas and bait and I will never go back. I know at least one of my fellow friends had an issue there where he also asked them to dump his bucket and he left. I will make sure anyone I talk to that fishes out there to never frequent that store.

As far as fishing goes...

We got a late start and did not get to Melvern lake until after 8. Started with brush piles on the south side but like everyione else has noticed there are a ton of small fish. After several hours of wading through the small fish we had 7 keepers and decided to head to the marina for lunch. Talked to the guys there and enjoyed a hearty microwave burrito and went back after it. It was 100 degrees that day but with the wind it actually did not feel so bad. Based on feedback from the old timer at the marina(did not get his name but hell of a nice guy)I decided to switch tactices and found a point on the north side and spent a few minutes looking at the ledges around it. Found a ledge in ~ 20' with good marks. Dropped some lines and started yanking in keepers one after another. We quickly boated ~ 20 keepers and then the wind came up and became hard to stay over the fish. Called it a good day and went home.

Fished for other species the other 2 days.
    Last edited by Slab; 09-02-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: THIS IS NOT A BOYCOTT "THIS" website
    LIFE’S TOO SHORT TO FISH WITHOUT BEER

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the post

Post Thanks / Like

Try the shell station at Gardner Rd and I-35. Their count is always awesome, and I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem giving you water.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear of your trouble there Hairy. I like Lake n Dale and always have. Its far from perfect. I've just grown to accept waiting for the girls to finish texting or chatting before I get my stuff. It kinda helps slow me down which I need sometimes. I'm guessing they have to dip the water out of their minnow tubs right? 15 gal sounds like alot. I guess those tubs hold about 50, no more than 60 gal. Are they worried about depleting their own conditioned water?

Post Thanks / Like

I have gone to Lake and Dale for years. The tanks they have there hold several hundred gallons so 15 gallons does not make a dent. I may mention these run-ins some time to the owner but for all I know this gal may be part of that family. I have never been anything but polite when getting stuff but this is the second time this gal has been rude and it just so happenes there are other options. Even though we spend a lot of money in those stores I am sure we won't make much of a dent in their bottom line but again I have a mouth and I will tell anyone who listens what I think about the way I was treated. I am sure when Nick gets back from his Salmon fishing he can add his own experience.

I will definately check out that Shell station.

Post Thanks / Like

go back and forth every year this summer i been happy across street [rands?] so have not been east good luck next time wherever?

Post Thanks / Like

15 gallons is a lot of water and according to your post she was going to give it to you but was rude, being rude was not right BUT 15 gallons IS a lot of water. You did nothing wrong, she was rude but from your post she was still going to give you the water, I can see being a little mad but too tell everyone who will listen to boycott them is way over reacting in my opinion (probably not in your opinion) Word spreads fast, times are tough, it's hard to make money selling bait. If they really have bad service why not let people find out themselves (and not go back) without you telling everyone who will listen too your rant. I know you have got your 15 gallons before but how many people actually ask for 15 gallons. I am not ripping on you I just have a different opinion than you and if you did not want opinions you should not have posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention thanks for the fishing report, also not sure what kind of powder chemical chlorine remover you are using, I use a product called start-rite in a small bottle and add how every many drops it says per water volume, has worked everytime but if your water supplier uses chloramine this requires a different product and not sure of the name.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand where you are coming from Steve and I can understand why you would think I am overreacting. I have been going in both of the corner stores for over 15 years and over time I have estabished certain expectations. Based on recent experiences from not only myself but other fishers I won't be going back soon. When you have an employee that is persueding you to take your business elsewhere then I shall do so. This was not a kneejerk response as I gave myself almost a week before posting. I am sure it is hard to make money selling bait but I am almost certain it is harder when you are pushing customers out the door.

That being said it would be a huge releif if I were able to add tap water to the live well and be able to treat it without killing the bait. It is a big risk as I have found out after spending $20 on bait to have then ALL dead by the time I get to the lake. Once this happens it becomes difficult to attempt it a second time.

Post Thanks / Like

A dozen is 12 not sure you have a leg to stand on whining about the count. Are you going to boycot basspro for only putting 10 jig in a 10 pack? Wish I understood this why we all think we should get more than 12 when we buy a dozen . Kansas is the only state that I fish were you don't buy minnows by the pound.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast