Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: slow trolling shallow water

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

Default slow trolling shallow water

How is the best way to rig for slow trolling in shallow water
    using a 1/32 oz jig? what size weight is best . On lake weiss i see where all the guides have been posting catching crappie shallow slow trolling 1/32 oz jigs I would like to know their set up any help would be appreciated i would like to try it on my home lakes I normally long line troll
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I bet they use is very long poles to get the bait out way in front of the boat.

Fish in shallow water may spook easy.

I'll bet that they approach the spawning fish very slowly also. The least noise the better.

The male fish guard the nest so they will attack anything that even looks like it is after the crappie eggs.

Also the fish can see out of the water when shallow so keep a low profile in the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by speck chaser
    using a 1/32 oz jig? what size weight is best . On lake weiss i see where all the guides have been posting catching crappie shallow slow trolling 1/32 oz jigs I would like to know their set up any help would be appreciated i would like to try it on my home lakes I normally long line troll
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest suspending that jig under a small float. You can go as slow as you want, or stop, and not have to worry about staying hung up all the time. And I agree, those fish will spook real easy so you need some long poles to get the bait way out in front, or to the side of the boat.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

I troll from 4'-8' using a 1/32 oz. Roadrunner and have used that since 1979 for the most part. I do use a tube or a tiny jig called "Big Crappie Jig". I have also used some really small spinner baits no bigger than the 1/32 oz. Roadrunner.

Go as slow as you can and still keep out of the grass and maybe tick it every once in a while.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Lining

Quote Originally Posted by speck chaser

The guides here are still long lining, flat lining or whatever terminolgy you want to call it. It's all the same, just people have different names for it. When the fish move in the shallow's just go to a lighter jig, shorten your cast and adjust your speed to keep your baits off the bottom. We actually sometimes troll in 1 foot of water doing this and murder the fish, but beware that it's kind of rough on the equipment when your running 1.4 mph and you nail one of our famous stumps. (Warning: Make sure everybody stays seated when your doing this or you'll quickly learn too.) As far as the term "slow trolling," I would say to each his own, because slow trolling to a front poler and a longliner is invarably a whole lot different. Style of trolling, depth of water, size of bait (and line size) and the willingness of fish to bite should all be factors in determining you trolling speed. The fish will tell you when you've found the right combination for the moment at hand. Hope this helps!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I troll using 1/8 oz jigs with 6 lb test line and 12-14 ft poles

Post Thanks / Like

Troll very slow with small roadrunners or jigs. You can follow the crappie in as they spawn, up shallow. It should be a great time now.