Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whitebass year round

Post Thanks / Like

Default whitebass year round

I know there are guys who catch them year round, the question is how.

I have a awesome time catching them in the spring when they move up river to spawn.

How do you target them in the lake the rest of the year?

Thanks for the help.

Catching whitebass is an great fun - strong scrappers and taste decent too.

Seth

Post Thanks / Like

I usually troll around the windy points looking for fish in the lakes. In the rivers I look for current flows below the dams when they are generating electricity.

Post Thanks / Like

Great question. I'm interested to. We always tear 'em up in the spring but don't target em much after that. Windy points, huh? Are some points better than others? Do you pretty much throw the same thing?

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Medic .... catching them during the spawning run IS great fun, I agree Thumbs Up

You can also catch them on their post spawn return to the "main" lake .... I've done this by trolling along deep banks (small cranks or blade baits).

Once the weather/water gets hot, you can usually find them in the "jumps" (bursting shad schools on surface) where a variety of baits can be used. Trolling with a deep diver crankbait w/jig on a leader, or a heavy weight w/jigs on dropper lines, or even slow trolling blade baits or spinners can be used (especially in an area where "jumps" have occurred or are occurring & you can't reach them by casting) And, at night, under lights .. using minnows.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I'm not much help, as I don't target them during the Fall & Winter periods.

... cp
    Last edited by barrelslime; 12-13-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefsfan View Post
    Great question. I'm interested to. We always tear 'em up in the spring but don't target em much after that. Windy points, huh? Are some points better than others? Do you pretty much throw the same thing?
    I usually look for the points that are closer to deep water and have shad in the area. I throw what ever lure it takes to get down to the fish. Sometimes just trolling with a crankbait works and other times they may be closer to the bottom, then I will use a jigging spoon. I just experiment with different presentations until I figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done well this time of year on the flats in the evening when the whites catch the shad on top of the water right at dusk/dawn.

Post Thanks / Like

We normally find humps or points that are holding shad and either troll with white bombers or cast sassy shad. Once we locate them we can really focus on that area and load the boat!

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, Come to Woods reservoir and fish for crappie....I guarantee you will catch all you want.... Woods is over populated with them.....
    living life to its fullest, This is not a dressed rehearsal.

Post Thanks / Like

Follow the bait! Deeper waters, trolling and on current breaks like points and rip-rap rocks. Not sure about other places north but in the south if you find bait fish on your electronics then you will find whites in the winter. If the wind is blowing I have found them on the back side of a point to get away from the wind driven waves, this allows them to dart out and grab bait fish as they swim by or get blown by. lol

Post Thanks / Like

This is my very first post. So, HELLO from Alabama
    Last year, November 29th we went down to Warrior River not far from Birmingham. I had spent plenty of time on the river when I was a kid but had never seen a white bass, known as river stripe here. I just wanted to get out and do some easy fishing so we went out trolling with my most successful lure, a 4" rapala minnow. The bass had been hitting about any kind of minnow lure. Also a chartreuse rooster tail. Right in the bend of the river where a large creek meets forms a peninsula point. On the front of that point is a bit of a gravel bottom for a little ways out then it gets deeper. The wind was light. In no more than 1 1/2 hours I landed 12 white bass. The biggest one was a whopper to me, 16 inches. Great day fishing. It was a good area. I fished in the area until it just got too cold and caught 10-12 spotted bass and white bass every time I went out trolling. I've only caught a crappie while jug fishing. So, I came to this site to pick up some crappie fishing tips. It is one thing I know little about. I'm getting a bit over the hill but finally am finding time to enjoy fishing and learning more about it. Finally, I think I've got a good little boat that is just right for Papa to fish out of.. and it's ELECTIC START!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast