Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling depth curve question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling depth curve question?

Trying to fine tune my presentation. On the crankbait depth charts it gives speed, amount of line out, line diameter, and lure choice. But the million dollar question is about the rod tip height from water...... Cause a tip 6" off of water level has the line meet the water at a different angle than one 3' off the drink right? Or is this something Im over thinking, like speed?
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Over thinking. I do agree with you though. A lower tip adds a little depth, but I figure it's not major. I've run over points and hit shallow flats and my baits started clickin bottom pretty hard while trolling, and I can take my rods and lift them over my head and get through it sometimes, but even that high I doubt it's over a foot or so difference.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

will not make that much difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by das speck hunter View Post
    Cause a tip 6" off of water level has the line meet the water at a different angle than one 3' off the drink right?
    The depth will be different (2.5ft in your example) but the angle will be the same. Think of it this way: Assuming the distance between the rod tip and the lure is a straight line, the angle remains the same wherever the waterline meets the line.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You're getting too technical. Just go out there and have at it and have fun.

The depth charts are just guidelines and tons of factors can change the depth the baits run. That is the main reason I choose to run line-counter reels. If one is digging at a certain depth with X amount of line out, I'll reel it up some till it runs like I want.

Post Thanks / Like

Its all just approximations anyhow. Just don't try the "kneel and reel" while trolling. :D

http://www.bassmaster.com/tips/cranking-deep-paul-elias

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it does make a difference. I troll from the middle of April until the ice starts to form. It depends upon the size of the lip of the crankbait also. When I'm trolling I have one pole that is approx. a foot off the water and another that is close to 3 feet off the water. To obtain the same depth I have to let out more line on the higher pole. When I start to troll I cast out than make 4 sweeping movements that lets the line come off the reel. On the pole that is higher I have to make 5 sweeps to get the lure to the same depths as the other pole.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I heard or read somewhere that the chart was made with the rod tips 18" above water.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creekslick View Post
    I think I heard or read somewhere that the chart was made with the rod tips 18" above water.
    You are correct. I emailed the author of the book and he said 18".
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Ok 18" is for the same results as the charts. I was using 8" - 12" and the question was bothering me. Thanks for the information.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.