Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interested in the opinions on "type" of rod for crappie...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Interested in the opinions on "type" of rod for crappie...

Hey All,

I still consider myself a novice when it comes to crappie fishing. I almost always fish from the bank and have now tried about 4 different rods on crappie- all totally different from each other. One is a 7'6 fiberglass (super flexible and sensitive), one is a 6'6 Shakespeare Synergy (stiff and not so sensitive), a 6'6 Ugly Stick (heavy- will probably use it just for bass now) and a 5'0 Microlite.

They have all caught fish but each has their own pros and cons. The 7'6 is almost too flexible and harder to set the hook than the more stiff Synergy. Its size is a bit harder to cast from the bank. The Synergy is somewhat heavy to cast and is harder to pick up on the bite. The Microlite has just the right amount of stiffness and sensitivity (and actually feels the best when casting, etc.) but its size and strength may show it's limitations, also.

So, is the perfect rod out there? Should I look for one thing (size, rod material, etc.) to narrow down the search? Can you be a good crappie fisherman with a short, small rod? :D Thanks for all the help.
    Eric W.

Post Thanks / Like

look at the BnM's....the same heatons or the bucks jig pole.....
    BNM Fishing
    BNM Fishing

own em both & love em....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Longer rods help when you're fishing from the bank (unless you're fishing in an absolute jungle). I'd go with a 7-7.5' graphite rod. One of the longer Microlites would be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

for experimenting with rods, try a cherrywood or 6 or 6.5'er in the light or UL available at wally world with a somewhat small/light reel, but not an UL reel. Only $20 or so, a fairly cheap experiment. I like for longlining, or the shakespear microlite in 6.5' length. I use a quantum snapshot SS10 on most of my rods but I longline 95% of the time.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies so far- so something over 6' and a graphite rod should be what I'm looking for? I have never seen anything over 6' at my local Wal Mart...it seems like all the rods are small, bluegill-type rods about 5'6 or so.
    Eric W.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to look at a 7' graphite rod, fast action tip. Unless you are using slip floats/bobberstops, I can recommend the ESP brand. I can't recommend an ESP rod, for use with slip float rigs, because they have micro guides on the upper portion of the rod .. and they're too small for most bobberstops to flow thru. If, however, you're mostly casting .... I think you would like the ESP line of rods. A 7' Powerlite ESP runs about $65 from Grizzly Jigs website. ( Noreseman ESP Series )

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omegapd View Post
    I have never seen anything over 6' at my local Wal Mart...it seems like all the rods are small, bluegill-type rods about 5'6 or so.
    My local Walmart doesn't have a great rod selection. I'm not sure where you are in GA, but if you could make it to one of the Bass Pro stores, you'll find boat loads of rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you would like a power light rod, in the 7' or a little longer range. They have the sensative tip, and the backbone to handle bigger fish.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Try a Berkley 7' lightning rod in a Med or Med-light action.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for the responses. I live out in the sticks so it's not easy to look at and handle a lot of rods. The closest Bass Pro is a good hour and a half drive away, and the mom and pop stores nearby seem to stock the basic things that a Wal Mart sells. I did find the Synergy at my favorite local store but that was the largest rod he had. It may work out well in the long run, though- once I get used to it a bit more. Again, thanks! I'll be looking for those rods when I get to BP sooner or later!
    Eric W.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast