Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grenada Lake Monsters (day early and a day late!)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grenada Lake Monsters (day early and a day late!)

Well our crappie club had its Grenada tournament this past weekend. I headed up Thursday night so I could be on the water at daybreak Friday. I knew the wind was going to be an issue so I put in at the Grenada landing and planned to fish the South bank towards Gravesport. My partner and I started riding to see what cover would be fishable. We found our way to a creek and began to fish the mouth of it. We were trolling jigs and would straight pole tops when we would come up on one. This was producing some nice fish but not tournament fish. We made our way into the creek and slow trolled up towards the bank. The water was muddy and about 6 feet deep. We had black and chartreuse jigs on. As we inched towards the bank one of my poles bent down. I set the hook and it felt like a good fish. My partner immediately went for the net and a few seconds later I had my first 3 lb crappie in the boat. I immediately set the pole back in the holder to look at the fish. In the time it took to turn and look at this monster and turn around my pole was bent over again. My partner went for the net and to my amazement I had my second 3 pounder in the boat! Well we left the area in hopes of another big fish biting day of the tournament. We fished a few more areas but the excitement was a little to much and we ended up riding and showing the SLABS off!
    Tournament day we return to our spot in high hopes. We were trolling jigs and began to catch fish. We had 4 nice fish in the boat but still not the ones we had hoped would be there. We had one hot spot were I pulled 5 two pound fish back to back. The bite was steady but wasn't enough. We had 20 keepers and weighed in a ten fish limit. Our weight was 18.02 lbs. Not a bad weight on any other lake but not enough for Grenada. We came in 17th place out of 47 boats. The winning weight was around 24 lbs!!!!

The day after part gets even better. My in-laws live in Grenada so I'm lucky enough to get to fish the lake a good bit. My father-in-law wanted to give them a try so I found my self back in the same spot I had fished the two days prior. We were there at daybreak and the bite was on. They were biting one after another. Go figure the day after you tear them up. We were catching some very nice fish when I set the hook and it felt familiar. I asked for the net and to my amazement I had boated another 3 pounder! So in a 3 day period I have caught a 3 pound even, 3 pound 9 ounces, and a 3 pound 4 ounces. I also caught a male that weighed 2.95 lbs. I plan to have the 3 big fish mounted together. What a weekend!!! Pictures to come!!!
    Last edited by Mississippi Slab; 04-03-2006 at 06:45 AM.
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that's the stuff I dream of! Can't wait to see the pics.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

So what kind of deal did you have to make with the devil to have a catch like that?

Post Thanks / Like

I fished that area fri morning but didnt go past wolf creek very far the water temp was around 57 i wanted to go up to redgrass but i was afraid of the winds and my small boat,how far up did you go and what was the water temp? We put in at greysport that evening and caught some around 2 pounds under the bridge the temps there were 64.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

bugman we stayed out towards the mouth of the creek. The water was around 62 degrees.
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Story

I enjoyed reading about your success. Reminds me of reading Outdoor Life Magazine Articles or Field and Stream Articles.

The mount with three 3lb fish will look quite impressive. Can't wait to see that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Slab
    Well our crappie club had its Grenada tournament this past weekend. I headed up Thursday night so I could be on the water at daybreak Friday. I knew the wind was going to be an issue so I put in at the Grenada landing and planned to fish the South bank towards Gravesport. My partner and I started riding to see what cover would be fishable. We found our way to a creek and began to fish the mouth of it. We were trolling jigs and would straight pole tops when we would come up on one. This was producing some nice fish but not tournament fish. We made our way into the creek and slow trolled up towards the bank. The water was muddy and about 6 feet deep. We had black and chartreuse jigs on. As we inched towards the bank one of my poles bent down. I set the hook and it felt like a good fish. My partner immediately went for the net and a few seconds later I had my first 3 lb crappie in the boat. I immediately set the pole back in the holder to look at the fish. In the time it took to turn and look at this monster and turn around my pole was bent over again. My partner went for the net and to my amazement I had my second 3 pounder in the boat! Well we left the area in hopes of another big fish biting day of the tournament. We fished a few more areas but the excitement was a little to much and we ended up riding and showing the SLABS off!
    Tournament day we return to our spot in high hopes. We were trolling jigs and began to catch fish. We had 4 nice fish in the boat but still not the ones we had hoped would be there. We had one hot spot were I pulled 5 two pound fish back to back. The bite was steady but wasn't enough. We had 20 keepers and weighed in a ten fish limit. Our weight was 18.02 lbs. Not a bad weight on any other lake but not enough for Grenada. We came in 17th place out of 47 boats. The winning weight was around 24 lbs!!!!

The day after part gets even better. My in-laws live in Grenada so I'm lucky enough to get to fish the lake a good bit. My father-in-law wanted to give them a try so I found my self back in the same spot I had fished the two days prior. We were there at daybreak and the bite was on. They were biting one after another. Go figure the day after you tear them up. We were catching some very nice fish when I set the hook and it felt familiar. I asked for the net and to my amazement I had boated another 3 pounder! So in a 3 day period I have caught a 3 pound even, 3 pound 9 ounces, and a 3 pound 4 ounces. I also caught a male that weighed 2.95 lbs. I plan to have the 3 big fish mounted together. What a weekend!!! Pictures to come!!!
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Drooling profusely and checking my calander for a trip to grenada. lol
    Good things come to those who bait.

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

congrats on your catch. That is really awesome. I have not had a day like that yet on Grenada, but man I hope i do. I do have 2 3 pounders I am having mounted right now that I caught last year prefishing the lake, but nothin glike your day. It just makes me wonder how that lake does it. How does it produce those fish so consistantly?

Whatever the reason, you folks that get to fish it regularly are quite lucky people.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

David not sure how it does. My theory is that the lake doesn't support the best bass population so the crappie don't have as much competition for food. Although I'm afraid that with the water being as low as it is that a large majority of the 3 pound plus fish will be caught. Anyway it was the best day I have ever had on the lake I just wish it would have come a day earlier. Although you want hear me complain about catching 3 fish over 3 pounds in 3 days and bringing in a 18.02 bag on tournament day!
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

Post Thanks / Like

It just takes time to grow 3 pounders. If they live long enough, and avoid jigs and minnows for 6-7 years, they get to 3 pounds.......With the pressure that lake receives, I don't know how any of them make it 6-7 years!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast