Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pullin cranks on Ky Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pullin cranks on Ky Lake

Anbody having any luck pulling crankbaits on Ky Lake? Have done with with great success on Sardis, but the same techniques don't seem to be working for me here. Pulling Bandit 300's 1.8-2.1 mph.

Post Thanks / Like

havent been here lately,but usually from late may to first week in july i have good luck pulling cranks in water 20ft or less.

BIGBADDAD is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

a thread from a couple weeks ago that might help. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/kentu...d-ky-lake.html
    http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac178/BIGBADDAD/birdpooavatar.gif

www.kicknbass.net

Arkie Jigs Prostaff
    Todd Huckabee Rods Prostaff
    HiTec Outdoors Prostaff
    ESB Prostaff
    SteelShad Prostaff
    Jenko Fishing Prostaff

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Once the main lake temps hit 90 degrees on the surface, the crankbait bite slowed down. I think once the temps get back into the low 80s and the fish start into the bays, it will fire back up. One big difference in KY/Barkley and Sardis/Granada is the fact that there is not a well defined thermocline on KY/Barkley.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard there isnt even a thermocline at all on KY/Barkley because so much current flows through. The water gets from pickwick through KY dam so fast (maybe 9 days?) that a theremocline never even forms. I could be wrong but its just like an oversized river and thats why no thermocline sets up, but thats just what Ive read from studies etc on the lake. Never experienced it myself so I dont know but seems to make sense.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a semi-thermocline in some of the major creek arms. It will occasionally show up on the depth finders but I don't think it affects the fish like it does in non-river system lakes.