Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Melvern 8.21.11

Post Thanks / Like

Default Melvern 8.21.11

Made it back to Melvern Sunday. We went through 5 doz minnows by 1pm. Still 1:10 keeper ratio. Went to the standing timber and not a bite shallow or deep. Went back to some humps or flats (15ft) near drop offs with structure and found large schools of crappie. Had to use 1 hook k-rigs due to the bite being so strong. Hooked into several large fish we never saw and then finally brought in two cats 6lb and 8lb. Seems like the catfish are feeding on the small crappie and shad. The 8 lb cat had a 7 inch crappie in the gut, which I had never seen. All in all, a good day on the water until the heat ran us off and we ran out of minnows. Cleaned 21 keeper crappie and 2 nice cats.

Went down to the Sundance Park area the last major point on the southside before you get to the Arvonia bridge and found massive schools of shad all around the point, nearly a black out on the depth finder. Trolled in there and and hit some piles, but only caught 1 or 2 dinks. There must be too much food in that area for fish to take a look at our minnows.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report and nice catch. Last spring I didnt know it until I reeled in a longline that I had a very small fish on, and it was hit by something BIG before I got it to the boat. The markings on the small crappie told me it was a big 'ole cathish. That thing about crushed that small crappie, but missed the hook. Also read a report about striper guys using small crappie for bait and catching some nice catfish. I guess if they can catch 'em theyll eat 'em.:rolleyes:
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Two years ago I was fishing spawning crappie in my 2-man up in the wakie. Hooked a 6 lb channel w/my 10ft dippin pole. He took of for deep water luckly so I was able to chase him down w/my troller. 6 lb catfish & it had a 9 3/4" crappie in it. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.
    Don't lie, There's less you have to remember

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report!Glad you had alot of action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mo View Post
    Made it back to Melvern Sunday. We went through 5 doz minnows by 1pm. Still 1:10 keeper ratio. Went to the standing timber and not a bite shallow or deep. Went back to some humps or flats (15ft) near drop offs with structure and found large schools of crappie. Had to use 1 hook k-rigs due to the bite being so strong. Hooked into several large fish we never saw and then finally brought in two cats 6lb and 8lb. Seems like the catfish are feeding on the small crappie and shad. The 8 lb cat had a 7 inch crappie in the gut, which I had never seen. All in all, a good day on the water until the heat ran us off and we ran out of minnows. Cleaned 21 keeper crappie and 2 nice cats.

Went down to the Sundance Park area the last major point on the southside before you get to the Arvonia bridge and found massive schools of shad all around the point, nearly a black out on the depth finder. Trolled in there and and hit some piles, but only caught 1 or 2 dinks. There must be too much food in that area for fish to take a look at our minnows.
    We fished Melvern this past weekend and had very similar results only the catfish we caught were about 8 inches long! I would bet we caught 20 of those little suckers while fishing for crappie!!
    We did really good in the standing timber up turkey creek. I caught the most right up next to the bank in about 10 foot of water. Lost a whole lot of tackle but that is the way it goes! lol!! We also fished the brush piles and had about the same 10:1 ratio.

We are heading out there again this weekend for another weekend of camping so I hope to zone in on them a little better and stay out of those little catfish!

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I saw a boat go back into Turkey Creek. We fished the standing timber on the south side of the lake in the only cove on that side that has standing trees. I didn't think to go back into Turkey Creek because it gets pretty shallow back there and I was thinking the crappie needed quick access to deeper water. I may have to give it a try next time I'm out there. I have been catching most of my fish in the Turkey Creek area. I have about two old faithful spots that hold fish year around except during the spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I saw a boat go back into Turkey Creek. We fished the standing timber on the south side of the lake in the only cove on that side that has standing trees. I didn't think to go back into Turkey Creek because it gets pretty shallow back there and I was thinking the crappie needed quick access to deeper water. I may have to give it a try next time I'm out there. I have been catching most of my fish in the Turkey Creek area. I have about two old faithful spots that hold fish year around except during the spawn.
    We normally do fairly well back in turkey creek. The standing timber on the west side back is in about 12 fow. We caught the most on the east side in the shallower water. The only issue we had was the snags. We were forever hung up but we caught several back there.

The piles out at the mouth of turkey creek get hit pretty hard. There are several piles back in the turkey creek arm that hardly anyone fishes and they normally produce decent crappie for us. Look for them on the east side about 1/3 of the way from the main lake. There is a spot that is about 30-40 yards long that is nothing but brush piles in about 15 fow. I normally start at the north end of the piles and work my way south to the other end and it normally produces several good fish along with a whole lot of little ones.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have fished the piles 1/3 into the arm inside Turkey creek, very rarely do I see anyone fishing them. I also hit the ones 3/4 into the arm near one of the points. I hardley see anyone fishing this area, there has to be about 10-12 piles in a 500 ft area.

I always see a bunch of boats around the shallow point as you enter Turkey Creek mouth early AM. Anyone know if they are fishing for crappie or walleye? I have never really done any good around that point.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have fished the piles 1/3 into the arm inside Turkey creek, very rarely do I see anyone fishing them. I also hit the ones 3/4 into the arm near one of the points. I hardley see anyone fishing this area, there has to be about 10-12 piles in a 500 ft area.

I always see a bunch of boats around the shallow point as you enter Turkey Creek mouth early AM. Anyone know if they are fishing for crappie or walleye? I have never really done any good around that point.
    I never see anyone fishing those piles either. Makes it all the better for those of us that do! We normally get a few big ones off of those piles.

As for those boats you see out on the point at turkey creek, there are three piles that I know of and most of the time when I see boats there they are on the piles. However, there are some really good drop-offs in there that hold a lot of walleye. I have caught many walleye in that area! A few weeks ago I tied into a blue cat fishing for crappie in that area that would go 25-30 lbs. I caught it on a minnow about a foot off of the bottom, it was a hell of a fight on a 5 foot ultra-light and 8 lb test! Took me every bit of 30 minutes to get him in. Just as I got him to the surface he did the death roll and straightened the hook. Never got a chance to even get a picture.

We are heading out again this weekend so if you see a blue alumacraft running around out there it will more than likely be me!

Keith