Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trolling motor advice???

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling motor advice???

I currently have a 70lb thrust, minnkota 24v, var speed trolling motor....but...its a hand control, I CANT get used to it, tried for all spring and summer and the hand control thing just doesent fit how I fish.....so Im looking at replacing it with a foot control trolling motor.....I want a 70lb thrust, var speed, 24v....dont really wanna spend much more than the $800.00 dollar mark.....looked at minnkota's and motor guides....any one have any advice on either brand.....and models for each???? thanks for any info, have a great one all, God bless.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have owned both.....just seem to like MinnKota better, they are quieter and give less trouble. I currently have a MinnKota Terrova 80 lb. thrust 24 volt with I -Pilot
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

"G" I bet that I-pilots awesome for trolling....

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the Minn Kota.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All I've ever owned were MK's so cannot comment on the other. Never any problems out of all the MK's I'v owned though so I've never had a reason to switch brands.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

looking pretty close at this one...... Minn Kota Maxxum Bow Mount Trolling Motors .... the 5th one down #38-523-266-00.....any thoughts?????

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The Maxxum is probably the best cable controled foot control TM out there James.....if I fished mainly in the trees, thats what I would have.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

James,

I have a maxum and it works great. I fish a lot of standing timber and also use it in the winter in lilly pads and bullrush. The only thing I would question on your selection is the shaft length. If the one you selected works well on your boat then go for it. I personally like the longer shaft as it will work a little better in rough water.Thumbs Up
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER!!!
    I QUIT FISHIN, I ONLY GO CATCHIN NOW!!!

Post Thanks / Like

@ SLABMASTER....good point and to be 100% honest I do need to look into what kinda shaft length I need......my "home lake" have a ton of standing timber & stumps....I do troll some also....thanks for the input.....I'm in the beginning stages of even considering this.....my other options to grin and bear it untill spring or so and get an I-pilot.....just don't know how much I wanna spend, how long to wait yadda yadda yadda.....

Post Thanks / Like

I've had both MG and MK. Both are good motors but I prefer the Minn Kota.

My current TM is a Maxxum and I really like it a lot. I fish trees, stumps, and spider rig at different times. The variable speed of the maxxum allows you to fine tune your speed while trolling, while the cable steer gives you a faster reaction while maneuvering around stumps, pads, etc.

If I trolled all the time I think I'd have a Terrova, but for a good all around TM it's hard to beat the Maxxum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast