Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pulling a boat with a car

Post Thanks / Like

Default pulling a boat with a car

I really am not sure I can afford a truck and a boat at this point. My current vehicle happens to be a car. It is only a 4 cylinder but a very good one. I was wondering if I put a hitch on it if it would be sufficient enough to tow a 17 foot aluminum boat with like a 60 to 75 HP motor on it. Granted I would be using it a lot, the two main ramps i would be using are only 5 miles from my house. Only the occasional 15 mile haul to another area. Would this be a bad idea in your opinion? Just considering all options

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be as concerned about "pulling" it to & from the lake, as I would be about being able to launch & pull the boat out Doh That would depend on the ramp angle.

... cp

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If the ramp is very steep.....you might be strained with the 4 cyl. Slab pulls his deep V with a BMW car and it does good but he does have the big motor in it. I would also be concerned with how well it would stop....if the vehicle is a small one.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the 70's I pulled a fiberglass Ouchata with a 100hp with a 4 cy Ford Pinto wagon. Pulled the ramps ok but had to be very careful stopping.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

pappy, I had also thought of the ramp issue, one of the ramps is fine, but one is a little bit steep, not too awful bad, my bigger concern of the ramp was during the winter when it freezes because I am the first one to the ramp on mornings when the temps are in the teens at times lol

Post Thanks / Like

It's really going to depend on the car. Manufacturers provide towing guidance.

First launch isn't so bad when it's freezing. It's all the rest until it warms up after you've dripped water all over the cold concrete.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about that but was also thinking about the night fishers from the night before and their frozen drip.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    It's really going to depend on the car. Manufacturers provide towing guidance.

First launch isn't so bad when it's freezing. It's all the rest until it warms up after you've dripped water all over the cold concrete.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 175 Tracker Pro Crappie that I tried to pull with my Ford Escape ( 4 wheel drive) did not pull it good on the road and even worse at the boat ramp.So it was back to the fuel eating diesel truck.

Post Thanks / Like

Need to know the actual make and model to really know...rear wheel drive? Might be a problem on any ramp much less a steep one that's frozen. Also, hitch height and spring sag is likely to be an issue. Emegercy stops are going to be....thrilling at least.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I usta pull mine with my '69 Chevelle SS396 convertible. No problem. Had a Dodge Ramcharger at that time, but preferred the Chevelle. I was a cool cat.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast