Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best knot...backing to main line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best knot...backing to main line

I was always taught to use either a blood knot or surgeons (which I dont like cause it's tags seems to grab the main line). Would an albright be better for this application? Or what kinds to yall use?
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont know what you call it, but I cinch 3 loops and pull it tight. Works for me.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

i always use the blood knot . even tieing braid to mono

Post Thanks / Like

I use a double uni knot. It's simple and works with all lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Double uni-knot for backing to mainline with similar diameters. Easy to tie, small diameter and has not failed me yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. If you wanna have some fun though go learn the GT knot. It's also called the FG knot or the Sebile knot. There seems to be several slightly different versions of it depending how fail proof you want it. For saltwater where you need knot perfection for fighting brutes like tarpon, sharks, king mackerel, and other fish that really can severely test fisherman and tackle alike. There isn't a stronger line to line knot. I use the uni to uni most of the time, but if I'm going for biggies I use the GT. It is a pain to tie. It goes through guides better than the uni to uni too. There are lots of videos teaching it.

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    +1

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For me:
    Since the backing line is there simply to make the spool's arbor diameter larger, and (in most cases) you've spooled on a sufficient length of new filler line, and will likely never have enough line out to reach the connecting knot, or will replace the filler line when it gets low (from breakages) or starts to deteriorate from age ..... most any knot can be used. This "backing to main line knot" shouldn't get exposed, even after letting out the greatest amount of main line that you'd ever use.

Generally, I pull the two tag ends together, side by side & make a loop, then run the tags thru the loop twice, then wet & cinch ... then trim the tag ends as close as possible to the knot. I've never been "spooled", nor have I ever let out enough line to reach the knot .... so my concerns have always been about the knot(s) that I tie my baits/setups onto the main line with. A lot of people are concerned about the possibility of being "spooled" (having a large fish pull off enough line to reach the backing or spool) ... but, I'd be more concerned with the condition of the backing line, than the connecting knot, in that scenario. Unlike the spools of line that you have at home, stored in a cool/dark/dry place, the backing line has been in the elements ... subject to heat & cold, getting wet & drying out, and possibly even getting some UV damage. That's why I totally replace the entire reel spool, about every two to three years, with either totally new line or 1/2 with seldom used line & topped off with new line.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Uni to Uni or Blood Knot. I don't see much difference in the trimmed tag ends. IMHO
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER!!!
    I QUIT FISHIN, I ONLY GO CATCHIN NOW!!!

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the double uni with good results, and it goes through the guides easily. Hank Parker stated in one of his shows that it's his choice also. If he can use it in Mexico on those large green fish, I believe it will hold up for me.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast