Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Livewell issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Livewell issues

Thinking about adding one of these to my livewell after yesterday. We lost our big fish(first lost fish all year) and I hated it. Does anyone have one or something similar that they would recommend?

THE OXYGENATOR | A patented process to create 100% pure oxygen from the water itself.

My current situation only pumps in fresh water. Ideally I'd like to fill the livewell, bring the temp down and keep it oxygenated without adding more water.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know anyone that has one but have you tried cooling off the water in your livewell? I usually plug the hole on the outside of my boat and fill the livewell full of lake water and add ice packs from the cooler to drop the water temp. Keeps 'em fresh and lively all day long. Fish live fine in my livewell but I should mention that my boat is a multispecies boat with a hugh livewell too.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Does your livewell not have a recirc. feature? Even if not with the water temps what they are even pumping fresh water in should keep oxygen levels good. I would
    say its the temp. We ran into this at the Crappie Masters as did alot of teams. The ones that had no prolems were either running the Koolwell system or bottles of ice to keep the livewell water cool. Koolwells are alittle pricey so i made my own system to cool them down.Works just like the Koolwell and is easy to install. Next tourn. come see me and Duncan we have one in his boat and i will show ya what its made up of. If Duncan can install it anyone can.LOL
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hogster1 View Post
    Does your livewell not have a recirc. feature? Even if not with the water temps what they are even pumping fresh water in should keep oxygen levels good. I would
    say its the temp. We ran into this at the Crappie Masters as did alot of teams. The ones that had no prolems were either running the Koolwell system or bottles of ice to keep the livewell water cool. Koolwells are alittle pricey so i made my own system to cool them down.Works just like the Koolwell and is easy to install. Next tourn. come see me and Duncan we have one in his boat and i will show ya what its made up of. If Duncan can install it anyone can.LOL
    that sounds good. would you mind posting a pic or two.....sounds interesting.......

Post Thanks / Like

Mike--I just put this on my boat..Power Bubbles Aerator So far it has worked fine in 2 tourneys, no dead fish and have had 15-20 fish in the livewell..I do add bottles of ice at beginning of day when I fill livewell to drop water temp..This thing will throw a major wake. I hooked it up direct to my 12v battery with an on/off switch...If you want info pm me..There are other systems out there that work good also, but I am not gonna carry around a full oxygen bottle on my boat!

Post Thanks / Like

We are running the Oxygenator in both our livewells and minnow cooler. Add U2 pro formula to water and only recirc. Do not change water out. Cold water holds oxygen longer but not for good. As more fish are put in the livewell, the more oxygen they use and the more CO2 they put off. The only way to rid the water of CO2 is to circulate the water. The Oxygenator produces 100% oxygen which must be ciculated also. Think of it like this, If you are in a air tight room with no oxygen it doesn't matter what the temp is but if your in a room with plenty of oxygen it can be 30 degrees or 100 degrees.
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hogster1 View Post
    Does your livewell not have a recirc. feature?
    Not a recirculation feature. It just pumps water in, then an aerator that's set on a timer from minimum to maximum. But if I'm correct when the aerator kicks on it's pumping in new water which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I always add ice, I have frozen bottles of well water that I add periodically thru the day to try to keep the water temp down. I think one of the problems may have been we decided to keep some fish and the livewell may have been crowded, my fault. I should have kept the fish we were gonna weigh on one side and all the others in the other and it probably would have been better.

Hogster, I'll take you up on that. I appreciate the offer, one of the things I love about this board.

Luke, I'll check out the system you recommended too. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I use and I don't loose fish.

Pro-Air System Air Livewell Pump

Then I put this switch on the system so I don't have to worry about nothing!

Automatic Aerator Control

Post Thanks / Like

I am still not at home but you can go by and check out the boat anytime. I am still in Northern Missouri selling fireworks. Mike just text me or PM me and I will give you my home address. The house is not far from you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dan, I'll text you and get your address and go by and look at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast