Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering about this boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just wondering about this boat

I saw the following ad for a boat and wondered if it sounded like a good deal to you guys or whether it sounded too good to be true. Considering I do not know much about boats and not much about their prices either I do not know if it is a good deal or not. How can you tell if a boat has a clear registration and has not been stolen and how can you tell for sure if the warranty is still on it as mentioned? here is the ad.

brand new alumacraft mv tex 16 ft factory new cond with a brand new 60 hp mer 4 stroke eng 3 yr warr no hours on it, brand new hustler trailer with new tires and wheels, spare tire, boat cover, on board battery charger,depth finder, minn kota foot controlled trolling motor,rod holders, live wells, bought new in 2009 and never used.

THE BOAT IS BRAND NEW BOUGHT IN 2009 AND HAS BEEN IN MY BASEMENT FOR 2 YEARS I HAVE NEVER PUT IT IN THE WATER FACTORY NEW COND VERY CHEAP FOR A NEW BOAT IN CAN SEE IT ANYTIME

Post Thanks / Like

$ and how did he get in the basement?
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Boat in the basement huh?? I'll call BS, and even if its legit, I'd like to see how somebods gets all that out of the basement, 60 hp is a little heavy.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

boat in basement? easy, I know of a lot of houses that have a garage in the basement, or under the house if you prefer
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

They probably have a garage door on a walk out basement. Could be legit, easy to know on if its stolen or not, just ask for the numbers off the trailer and boat and run them through State registration office.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also ask for the bill of sale that's in his name or the financing agreement. He could fax either of them to you and they would have all the #'s on them that
    you'll need to check everything out. Remember the old adage, "If it sounds to good to be true"

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have actually known guys that did this very thing, buy a boat and never use it, for whatever the reason was, and there are many. But just ask the guy for the details on the boat and ask all the questions that are bothering you about it. Do some research on the boat info. If you do the homework on it and the background is clean and everything adds up, then you may have just found a great deal.

Post Thanks / Like

dang if i don't think i remember a add just like that in the past somewhere. i would want to drive and see and make a offer based on proof of ownership if you like it. man, the more i think about it the more i am convinced i have seen a add just like it. did you by chance find it on craigs list and was there a picture of it???? i looked at many boats on craigs back in the latter part of last year.

Post Thanks / Like

What was the price? Some people that live in the mountains or hills build basements under their houses or decks where the ground is sloping. It could have a garage door in it. Ive also seen people (retiree's) that have bought boats, and never used them.(Thought they would learn to fish and lost interest, but usually their health was an issue.)
    I do think it sounds fishy though. If you reply back to them, if it's a scam, they will want you to use a shipping company, etc. Go see it, BEFORE you send any $$$.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

I did find one boat like you mentioned that said something about a shipping company and doing all transactions through paypal. I thought right away that it was a scam so I backed away from it. However this one he said it was a 2007 model I think that he bought in 2009 brand new and then stored in his basement which is like a garage as some of you mentioned. He said I could come look at it any time. Only problem is it is a couple hours drive. i guess teh drive would be worth it if the boat was legit, however if it is not I am out some valuable 3.35 a gallon gas, that stuff aint cheap to be playing around on ha ha. Thanks for all the responses and yes it was a craigslist add for whoever mentioned it

Quote Originally Posted by BigRiverMarine View Post
    What was the price? Some people that live in the mountains or hills build basements under their houses or decks where the ground is sloping. It could have a garage door in it. Ive also seen people (retiree's) that have bought boats, and never used them.(Thought they would learn to fish and lost interest, but usually their health was an issue.)
    I do think it sounds fishy though. If you reply back to them, if it's a scam, they will want you to use a shipping company, etc. Go see it, BEFORE you send any $$$.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast