Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Don't catch any of these things!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't catch any of these things!!

"The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is asking Virginia for help to sample waters for Naegleria fowleri.

The free-living amoeba gets up the nose, burrows up into the skull and eats brain tissue. It's found in warm lakes and rivers during the hot summer months, mostly in the South.

"It's a terrible disease that we would like to know more about and be able to tell the public more about from a prevention standpoint," said Michael Beach, the federal agency's associate director for healthy water. "We are trying to learn more, but it's a tough one because it's such a rare occurrence."
    It's a medical mystery why some people who swim in amoeba-containing water get the fatal nervous system condition while many others don't, experts say."

I would probably starve them out RoflRoflRoflRoflDoh

I DO MY BEST PROOFREADING RIGHT AFTER I HIT THE "SUBMIT" BUTON

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen on the news here lately about three people dying from that

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of that, but it's scary!!!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Just come on down to Florida.
    When the water temp gets up into the 80's they do not recommend that you swim or go into the lakes and rivers unless you have a nose clip to prevent water from going into your nasal cavity. The amoeba lives in the silty bottom of the lakes and rivers.
    There was a case where an individual was washing out his sinus cavity with water and unknown to him the water contained some of this amoeba. Doesn't take long to be come a casualty.

Post Thanks / Like

3 kids have died so far this year in VA from this. Thats why you don't swim in those places. The water is nasty anyways, if it smells or is stagnant then don't get in.

Post Thanks / Like

Scary stuff