Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to save fish for mounting

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to save fish for mounting

My son caught his first Trophy Crappie, and we are wondering how to save it to have it mounted... Any help???

Post Thanks / Like

I have always been told to wrap em in a soaking wet towel and put in bag with as little air as possible and then refrigerate or freeze and get em to the taxidermist asap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    I have always been told to wrap em in a soaking wet towel and put in bag with as little air as possible and then refrigerate or freeze and get em to the taxidermist asap.
    my dad did taxidermy as a hobby for a while and thats typically what he said to do....he also would wrap them in news paper, and bag them with as little air as possible...........I dont know 1st hand.....im still working on catching the trophy Rofl......but no really news paper or towel is good.....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    This is what I've always been told. Best thing you can do, is get it there as soon as possible. How big of a fish did your son get?
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I am a retired taxidermist and the wet towel is the only way to go. No newspaper!!!!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Always shoot for the moon, if you miss you'll still be among the stars.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to your Son!!!! Do you have pictures you could post or tell us what size it was?

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hunter7711 View Post
    I am a retired taxidermist and the wet towel is the only way to go. No newspaper!!!!!
    I dont doubt you so PLEASE dont take this the wrong way....I ask to educate myself to be 100% honest.... but what does the towel do, why does it work so much better?????? again you would know better than I, just wondering....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeepguyjames View Post
    I dont doubt you so PLEASE dont take this the wrong way....I ask to educate myself to be 100% honest.... but what does the towel do, why does it work so much better?????? again you would know better than I, just wondering....
    My guess would be the inks the newspaper?

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a full time taxidermist who mounts a lot of crappie and redears, both species that are prone to lose scales. I urge my clients to just wrap their fish in a plastic garbage bag, roll all the air out of it, tie it up then do the same thing again. Double wrap in plastic is the only way to go. With newspaper or towels, I feel you run the risk of freezer burning the fish much sooner. Lets face it, lots of folks can't, for whatever reason, get their fish to the taxidermist ASAP. I also advise my clients to place the fish flat in the TOP of a freezer until it is frozen solid and protect the fins at all costs. Whole fish can also be vacuum packed but ONLY after they are frozen solid. The imprint of the inside of the vacuum bag can leave that imprint on the soft areas of the head.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont alot of taxidermists use molds now anyway because they last so much longer? When i got my Bass mounted a few years ago i just measured the fish, weighed the fish, took a pic, and gave it to the taxidermist that i used, i released the fish to swim another day. My taxedermist painted the fish the color it was when i caught it, not the color of the fish after it had been sitting in the cooler for a few hours. It looked excellent.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast