Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Last post :) Which boat would you buy? Trackers PT175, Crestliner CX1754, Lund Pike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Last post :) Which boat would you buy? Trackers PT175, Crestliner CX1754, Lund Pike

Ok guys... almost there. Here are my final choices... my thoughts are the 06' PT175 but I'm a little torn still....

We're planning a run tomorrow as all of the boats I've been interested in are of course out of town... Leaning toward the 06' PT Tracker....

1) 2006 PT175 Tracker w/2 stroke 50hp Merc, new Blue tracker color standard troller 42lb, 2 standard finders along with all the other typical stuff... haven't seen it but current owned kept outside uncovered for the last couple years... and stored double covered and outside for the Midwest winters. I'm assuming since newer, if I clean it up if it needs it and keep it in my garage from this point forward it should hace a long life. can be had for $5600

2) 2000 and a 2001 Tracker Pro Crappies with standard stuff again... same as above regarding 2 finders and standard 42ish lb troller... I'm not big fan of the smaller rear deck in these compared to the other PT models or smaller livewells... 1 with a 40hp Merc and 1 with a 50hp Merc. Nothing extra or updated. Probably $4200-$4600 ish both appear very clean.

3) 2004 Crestliner CX1754... in pics and according to owner this sounds/looks like the cleanest rig. newer 70lb troller, 1 finder, 60hp FOUR stroke Merc (don't know if this matters to me but may in a few years if I sell it-of course I'm paying more now), always kept in... just looks sharp. $6500 bottom dollar

4) 16' Lund Pike... is a local boat... guy responded to my local Wanted Ad... 89' Pike in decent used shape... 3 yr old Merc 2 stroke 50hp motor... I would refloor it, ad front and rear decks, expand the livewell a bit and just customize it more toward the above rigs. Trailer is fair at best and older 42lb front troller. So I would spend money on flooring, carpets, possibly a couple new chairs, and probably paint the exterior. Trailer needs a pair of tires at a minimum. He's trailered the boat a couple hours a few times last year to his fav lake. Catch here is it can be had for $3k... to me, the motor is worth that... I've always been handy and worked on things, refloored & carpeted a ski boat 15 years ago but I don't know if I want to to that again. It'll probably/realistically cost a grand to get it where I'd want which pushes me back to the 1st boat...

My initial search was for a $3k boat... because I know it won't be used a ton... though it may if I get hooked again. The 1st 3 would be all the boat I'd ever want for a fishing boat. Spending the little extra gets me there. Honest thoughts? I'm ok with the extra cash.... assuming they'll hold value as well now that the initial depreciation should be gone if I sold it in 2-5 years (if not getting used). Mostly Bass, Pike and some Crappie fishing.

Be honest... or none of the above and wait for something different or better... I'm set on an aluminum...
    Last edited by Shawk; 08-19-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Go Tracker

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Just my two cents, but I believe that boats that sit outside uncovered will age much more quickly. Just because a boat is a few years newer doesn't mean it will be in better shape. Chances are that someone who would leave a boat uncovered for a few years, probly didn't do much other maintenance either. I suspect that the 06 is gonna be rougher than you can tell in pics.

I know nothing about crestliner fishing boats, but I like well maintained boats, four strokes motors and big TMs. Good luck which ever one you choose. I hope you get a good un.

Post Thanks / Like

The 06 tracker sitting outside uncovered will give you carpet and stitching problems soon. The sun and weather has deteriorated it PERIOD!!!! The sun and rain have also damaged the wood under the carpet. The two strokes MUST be maintained!!!! Carbs will need work, and probably an impeller, just to start. The best price isn't always the best deal. You didn't give the price for the 06 tracker, but it would have to be a steal to consider because you will have to spend a lot of money on it after you get it.

Beware, that lots of motors will start and run fine on a hose, even if the high speed jets and carbs need repair. You MUST DRIVE the boat you're going to buy, and put it under a Load to really check it out. If you have any problems out of a motor, don't buy it until AFTER it's fixed and you can run it in the lake. Also take a compression checker with you and check the compression yourself. You can buy a compression gauge for 20-30 bucks at any automotive parts store and it could pay for itself a hundred times over. As long as the cylinders have even compression, you're OK. The cylinders must not exceed 10% difference, and those are questionable.

I like the Crestliner the best for the reasons someone else mentioned earlier. 4-Stroke, 70lb 24v TM, and kept inside. It may be a bit out of your price range though.

Just remember, they will usually run about the way they look. Rough looking rigs are usually rough EVERYWHERE. If the rig is clean, has good compression, and runs out good in the water, it's usually a safe bet. Extra upgrades on the TM, and Electronics are a bonus. A 4- Stroke is a real plus, but 2-Strokes that are well kept are OK also, and they will be a lot less money.

Sorry for the book, just trying to help.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys... that's what I'm looking for... if I didn't want honestly, I wouldn't have posted. I agree about the 06'... price listed above is at $5600. He said he tarped it but he's selling it because he can no longer boat and said he didn't always tarp it in the summer. So I took that as rarely covered (simply figuring on worse case scenerio). I agree regarding engine... and will check things out well. Been married 18 years and owned 7-8 fishing & ski boats during that time. I've owned fairly high dollar IO's but nothing but a couple really cheap fishing boats.
    All the best!!

Any other thoughts welcome... thanks