Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knots

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knots

Blood Loop Knot is a good one to use. Tie this knot 18" above the end of your fishing line or tie two of these knots on the line and use two baits at once.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Moose...I wanted to know how to get two jigs on one line...this I can do. Can you tell me what knot you used to tie into the loop?

Thanks again...

Post Thanks / Like

Not meaning to step on Moose's thread, but a very good knot site with animations is:Animated Knots by Greg http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php?
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    Níl gach uile fhánaí caillte

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not sure of the name of the knot

after I get the blood loop knot tied onto my main line I just stick the loop though the eye of the hook and then loop it over the end of the hook. That will hold the hook on the loop easily and firmly.

You can vary the size of the loop and therefore how for out the hook or jig wil be from the main line.

I use this blood loop knot to attach a #2 gold thin wire hook to my line above the end of the line. I normally just add a weight to the bottom of the line. I use a short loop also to keep the hook close to the main line.

But you could use other knots to attack line to the loop as it shows in the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by slabbatical
    Thanks Moose...I wanted to know how to get two jigs on one line...this I can do. Can you tell me what knot you used to tie into the loop?

Thanks again...
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying you have the weight below the hook? If so, why? Not being a smart ellic, just trying to learn.
    If you have arrived here by accident, I suggest panic!

Post Thanks / Like

I keep the weight below the hook for a couple of reasons.

It keep the line tight and makes it easier for me to feel the bite.

Also I can keep in touch with the weight touching the bottom and that keep the bait 18" above the bottom. Crappie like to look up to feed so that puts the bait in a good position.

It may not really matter that much though. I caught many a KY lake crappie using the KY Lake Crappie rigs which had one hook at the very bottom, then a lead weight and then further up the line toward the reel there was a three way metal thing that attacked a second hook to the line. It was a line spreader thing made out of wire. Back in those days we used 10lb test braided fishing line tied to KY lake Crappie Rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Rat
    Are you saying you have the weight below the hook? If so, why? Not being a smart ellic, just trying to learn.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

that method is called drop shotting, with the weight below the hook or jig. You use this method fishing over brush piles and when you feel the weight touching the brush you hold the bait above it, if the weight gets snagged, you just pull it free, or just loose the weight and not the jig or bait.
    Last edited by Eager Beaver; 04-02-2006 at 09:16 PM.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

The animated site is COOL! Thanks!

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Tried To Use That Blood Knot Several Times--too Tough For Me To Tie---use The Surgens Knot ,easier For Dummies Like Me [haha]:
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Frank about this knot being harder to tie. I use a small match stick to help me tie this knot. If you look at the picture above you will see where the loop passes though the twisted line in Photo #3. . I stick a match in the twisted line to make the opening. If I loose my match stick I am in trouble. hehe.

What I like about this loop knot is that fact that the bait sticks out from the line about 2 in. That give my minnows a little room to dance around the line. This seems to get me more bites.

I learned that this knot is better the hard way. Fishing with Larry Southern IN and watching him catch crappie with his minnows on a rig with this type of setup. He used a different system to get the minnow away from the main line.

Also if you are slow trolling (going less than 0.5mph) the minnow will be easier for the fish to inhale. The main line does not get in the way of the fish's mouth.

In the diagram below the line on the left is the one with the blood loop knots and notice how the hooks are away from the line. This should make it easier for a fish to get the hook in his mouth without hitting the main line.

The line on the right is an example of tying a hook to the main line directly with a Palomar knot. Now this will catch fish too but I think that the main line sometimes gets in the way.

I have caught lots of crappie using both methods but I like the blood loop knot best. Especially when fishing for suspended crappie out in open water.

The blood loop knot ( I call it a loop knot myself) is harder to tie and sometimes I won't use it in heavy cover as it tend to get hung up easier.

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead
    Tried To Use That Blood Knot Several Times--too Tough For Me To Tie---use The Surgeon's Knot ,easier For Dummies Like Me [haha]:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Moose1am; 04-03-2006 at 11:54 AM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast