PDA

View Full Version : Length of time before cleaning crappie

Trihull
04-02-2006, 02:56 PM
After fishing in the morning, I usually come home around noon or one and put any fish in the downstairs fridge with the intention of cleaning them later.

I did this yesterday and forgot them. It has been about a day and a half since catching them, is it still safe to clean and eat them. They have been in the fridge at around 36 to 38 degrees.

Need your input.

slabbandit
04-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Hey Trihull, I don't really know. I do know a lot of guys ice their fish down and clean them on the last day they are there. I go by a simple rule... if the gills are still red they're good. Once the gills turn pale or white I consider them ruined.;)

misfit
04-02-2006, 03:16 PM
i've done that more than once,and in my own experience,have never had a problem with them if they were iced after catching.but that should be considered as just my experience,and not a proffesional dietician's opinion;)

DENNIS BOWERS
04-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Hey Trihull, I don't really know. I do know a lot of guys ice their fish down and clean them on the last day they are there. I go by a simple rule... if the gills are still red they're good. Once the gills turn pale or white I consider them ruined.;) Trihull- I use the same rule. I"ve kept them on ice up two days.

newlite
04-02-2006, 05:55 PM
At the fish market,they go by their eyes.If eyes are nice and clear their good.If their cloudy and white they are not.That's what I go by.I also make sure their gills are still red.Good luck

Barnacle Bill
04-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Hey Trihull, I don't really know. I do know a lot of guys ice their fish down and clean them on the last day they are there. I go by a simple rule... if the gills are still red they're good. Once the gills turn pale or white I consider them ruined.;)

I agree. They will keep for several days if kept cool.

gabowman
04-02-2006, 06:22 PM
If the gills are still red you're good. If in doubt then toss 'em.