PDA

View Full Version : spider rigging bobbers

jom
04-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Does anyone know where i can order the big styrofoam bobbers they use for spider rigging at reelfoot? Was down there last week and bought 3 while there but haven't been able to find them on web from anyone. They are 4 3/4 around them.

dmbutler47
04-02-2006, 11:21 AM
They have them at my local Academy Sports, I dont knwo if you have them where you are.

crappiekiller2
04-02-2006, 03:40 PM
How do they use them? Fill us in on how they use them.

jom
04-03-2006, 09:48 AM
They use 16 ft. rods in holders across the front of the boat,with line about 3 ft. down in the water with bobbers on them. The boat i was on with a guide had 10 poles spread out across the front.

squirrel hunter
04-03-2006, 11:20 AM
I wonder why they would use floats that big? We always use the smallest possible float so that their is little resistance when the fish grabs the bait.

ShilohRed
04-03-2006, 02:28 PM
The ones I use and see others use is form Grizzly jigs has them. I order mine there 50 at a time. Size depends on weight size.
Most of them use 3" load I have gone to 2 1/2" had to drop down in lead size. But this allows the fish to move and not feel the float. Also Its the tapered float with peg.
That is all that I have ever seen used there.
Pete

PS the place may have damage from the storms last night.

tim
04-03-2006, 06:09 PM
How deep are they fishing them and how much weight, using a jig or minnow.

TOMMY4UA
04-03-2006, 07:26 PM
when i spiderrig i use a 3in cigar float on 12 lb vanish line.below the float i will run the line through a 1/2 oz egg sinker about five times to keep the weight in place.about a foot below the sinker i will either tie a 1/0 light wire hook or a 1/16 oz jig.i use the heavy weght to keep to keep my bait straight down.the 3 in float is perfect for 1/2 oz weight.i fish 8 rods off of front and 8 on back.my very middle front rods i set about 2 feet deep and go deeper as they go out because it is easier to unhang the outside rods

lebruce
04-04-2006, 12:31 AM
What is the over all purpose of using a float while slow trolling and what are its advantages ?

hogpaw
04-04-2006, 12:52 AM
I agree with LaBruce. What is the advantage of the cork over tight line?

David Waters
04-04-2006, 04:38 AM
It really helps in shallow water keep the jig in the perfect depth, especailly if the water is rough. I like to let out a little more line on the outside rods. I also believe with so little line out, the fish do not feel the tension on teh rod as much either. They might feel a little from teh cork, but with just a few feet of line out they feel the rod tension.

You know, it doens't make a lot of sense I guess, but for some reason it does work.

Cracker68
04-04-2006, 09:34 AM
If it is rough water. you need to tight line, so your bait won't bounce. The main reason you use the float has a couple of reasons. First it a lot easier to watch 10 floats than the tip of the pole. It gets hard sometimes to see the line and pole tip. Like someone else said its easy to set a depth. But mostly I think because its easier to see. And the floats are slip floats. they slide on the line. You can slide the bobber stopper to adjust the dept. The stopper will reel up into your pole so you can fish 20 ft of water and still pull the fish in. Be hard to get a fish in the boat with a 12 ft rod fishing 20 ft deep. (not much 20' foot water reelfoot though.) They are large floats to hold a 1/2 to 3/4 weight up. The reason for the weight is keep the line down when you troll. Tight line is easier, but you get crossed eyed sometimes straining to see the line and pole tips

gahunter
04-11-2006, 08:53 AM
I guess the fish will pull the float under if it's big enough but is ther other indications of fish on? Do some hooks work better than others? What kind of reel is best?

Bones
04-11-2006, 09:25 AM
I've tried floats at Reelfoot, but all they seemed to do is keep me hung up. When tight lining you can see when your line is leaning on a stump, but with the floats you usually figure it out a little late.

jfraley
04-11-2006, 10:41 AM
I have never used floats or seen anyone else use floats spiderrigging. I have used slip floats when casting to brush, but not spidderrigging. Not that I am against it, I just found something else I have to try!

Deacon
04-11-2006, 01:12 PM
I have never spider rigged but do plan on introducing it to South Louisiana real soon.
I did read (somewhere) about using corks while spidder rigging. The cork did not actually touch the water. It was kept above the water about an inch or so and used as an indicator that something was on the line. When the cork moved from its position (i.e. on top of the water or under the water) it indicated a fish on. Sounds like this would make it easier to notice a bite.

Billy2
04-11-2006, 05:49 PM
I figure that you have a mighty good reason for using the float when
you spider rig, will you tell us why it's better than not using a float?

Billy

ShilohRed
04-11-2006, 06:11 PM
I use a float and the reason it. Can you tell when a fish picks the bait up? Your fishing lots of rods. And a fish just picks the bait up. The only way you can tell he is there. Is the float will lay on its side.
I have my floats where it almost under water. Don't won't to have a big float holding the bait up. and a fish feel it when picking the bait up.
The orange ring is even with the water. so if white is showing its a fish. If the line between the 2 moves its a fish.

This is the way I was taught.

Pete