Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody had carpal tunnel surgery?

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody had carpal tunnel surgery?

I'm having it done Monday on my left hand and 2 weeks later on my right. Dr says I'll be about useless (more so than normal) for about 6 weeks total. Any pointers on rehab or how to get by during the recovery?

Post Thanks / Like

I have not had that surgery but I have had others. As in all recovery goes, movement is key to rehab. Yes it will be painful, but the more you do it and the more you push yourself the faster you will rehab and the better the results you will have as well. Do the exercises the Dr. or therapist tells you to do and dont go overboard with it at first but build yourself up to more and more, you will be glad you did in the end.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had both hands done. The first one was a bummer mainly because he reattached my thumb at the same time. The other one was a piece of cake amd done by a different doctor. He use a new procedure where there was minimal intrusion. I was able to use my hand again in no time at all.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

not had the surgery but have heard numerous times that doing ALL of the physical therapy is VERY important getting your mobility back. Brother had knee replacement in 5/11, did all the therapy plus some more on his own, doing good now. One other fellow had knee done and he said it was very important to do the PT. GL. Guy at work is having his knee done next week, and his dr told him he better do the PT or he'll be back on the table for a re-do way too soon.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Had both hands done years ago, you won't be sorry you did it. Had both knees replaced, very good out come, The main thing is to do whatever they tell you for therapy. The people that I know that had problems and can't walk good, are people that didn't do the P.T. like they were told..Good Luck with it.

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

Had both hands done ten years apart. The first time was worse, only because it was my left hand and I'm left handed. The second was a easier. Smaller incision and less recovery time even with the simultaneous removal of a large ganglion cyst. No PT prescribed other than squeezing the little rubber ball. Don't regret either surgery, wish I hadn't put off the second one so long.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Had one hand done not too bad, worst part is learning to wipe your hinie with the wrong hand. better go ahead and get some practice in.

Post Thanks / Like

I had it done on my right had a pretty long time back and should have done the other one. I will say that doctor said he likes regular surgery over scope type and I spoke with another doc just a couple months back and he said the same thing. Both are ver well respected Surgeons. It was not all that bad as surgeries go.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad to see this post and to see the reccomendations people have said about the importance of the therapy. Find you a good outpatient hand clinic if you can with an OT or OTA that is a certified hand therapist. Therapy is very important for all post surgical recoveries. I hate the way medicare continues to try and cut back therapy reimbursement, it is very important.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    I'm having it done Monday on my left hand and 2 weeks later on my right. Dr says I'll be about useless (more so than normal) for about 6 weeks total. Any pointers on rehab or how to get by during the recovery?
    Better have agood friend to wipe the arse or wait for the left hand to heal.
    some friends will shun you while you are recuperating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast