Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Old Faithful

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Faithful

What would you say is your most favored technique when times are tough to catch crappie, in the heat of the summer. I'm talking about style of fishing and location to fish?

And I have an additional add on to this question. Up North, there are many small clear water lakes, and I find it near impossible to find Crappie this time of year. Any suggestions for these smaller clear water lakes?
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Ronnie Capps is offline Seven Time National Crappie Champion * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Two techniques that I always have at my finger tips year around on all lakes and anywhere I go will always be a pole set of "Jig Rigs" and a pole set of "Minnow Rigs". Depending on the time of year I also will have a set of "Crankn Rigs". Direct structure fishing is the mainstay for BIG crappie on most lakes most times during the year. Covering water with "cranks" , "rigs", or heavy structure water with "jigs" is how the game is played when you are dealing with murky or stained waters. Typically in the spring of the year.

Hope this helps,

Good Fishn !!

Ronnie Capps

Ronnie Capps is offline Seven Time National Crappie Champion * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When it seems that the crappie have disappeared in those deep clear lakes during this time of year here is the problem............ They have disappeared !!.......They imbed their selves so tight into cover that if you don't have your bait basically touching their nose you are not going to get bit. This has always been my experience. I recall fishing an ultra clear lake called Cave Run Lake in eastern KY and surely so was the situation here. Again, old growth cedar existing prior to creation of the reservoir along the main river channel were the "jackpot spots".

Hope this helps,
    Good Fishn !!
    Ronnie Capps

Post Thanks / Like

Just a helpful tip that comes to mind in heavy clear water structure..................Its much better to be using line size that is a little too large and be fishing than to be "broke off" and retying with no chance to catch a fish.

Thanks,
    Ronnie Capps