Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hello Ronnie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello Ronnie

Hey Ronnie,

Big fan of you guys. If you were planning a trip to a very deep, (steep sides) 50 ft plus most areas, and very clear lake, that's known for big crappie, and to be a tough place to fish in the summertime especially. What would most likely be your approach first there? Also, what style of fishing would you most likely feel would be what you would try? Lots of floating docks on this lake, and some blow downs, but very few brush piles in deep water. Ty for your time, today. GCF

Ronnie Capps is offline Seven Time National Crappie Champion * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of things come to mind .......Is the species predominantly black ? It will always be important to seek out heavy cover and direct structure fishing will be the standard for success. I love remnant cedar on the channels of old river channels!!! Percy Priest comes to mind for me. The deepest fish I have ever caught was in 63 ft of water there and it was almost like bottom fishing in the ocean..... Fish after fish after fish........

Thanks,

Ronnie

Post Thanks / Like

The lake I was speaking of, is Tims Ford Lake in southern Middle Tn. It was stocked with black nose black crappie a few years ago heavily, and by next year it should be an outstanding year class to be caught there. I found earlier this year nice sized black crappie in the spring. but since then, on this very large lake, with lots of long large creeks and steep sides I have struggled. There are those who catch some white crappie there, but the black nose black crappie seem to be most dominant.Thanks for answering my question today.

Ronnie Capps is offline Seven Time National Crappie Champion * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks for asking !!! Keep in mind that those black crappie are more like bluegill in diet and attitude they just usually live in a little deeper water. The docks will have fish!! If you get the chance try "shooting" and let me know how it goes. It shouldn't take long to find a few "hot" docks.

RC