Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never fished a tournament before - How to prepare for one?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Never fished a tournament before - How to prepare for one?

I didnt see a post like this anywhere already, and if there is one I apologize for making another.

For those that are tournament savvy, would you be willing to share how to prepare for one? From gear selection down to execution on day one. I myself have never taken part in a tournament, and may never as I am not competitive when it comes to fishing, I just enjoy fishing if I catch anything or not. But if I were to try what would I need to do to get myself and my boat ready for T- Day.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Was curious myself but wouldn't ask.figured a guy my age should know.So i decided to get me a partner and make sure the boat had gas in it,the batteries fully charged and load our poles and go for it.Heck we don't even know the rules yet but figured somebody will tell us Saturday at Truman. Little Skeeter hope u get a lot of folks to respond,then maybe we will both learn something.

Post Thanks / Like

Not an expert on the subject but sure have fished a lot of tour in my time...... you right start with plenty of gas and batteries topped off, nothing worse that a dead battery on tour day... I carry jumper cables in case the big motor won't start, and it doesn't take a high dollar rig to win or do good.... won out of a 40hp tracker and a 235 hp glass boat...... finding them is the key..... I always take 3 rods and all three are ready to go at a moments notice, jig tied on and all and three different colors on each one.... and with the warm surface temps. have some way to keep 7 alive till weigh in time......I have seen guys run 25 miles while some guy with a mile of the starting spot can win...... luck will help a little in finding the good ones.......and be sure and take rain gear,(never know) you won't have anything happen to you that someone else hasn't already been through, wether it be a trailer bearing, motor won't start, we have all been through these little additivies you might experience....then if you do real good, be and sure and put on some old ugly jig on your pole so when guys look in your boat they will think that is what you used.Hands ClappingIf you have a cell phone it would be a good idea to give your number to jared or get someone else's phone number in case you have trouble, help could be sent for you.......don't take them too serious these tours are mostly for fun........good luckThumbs Up
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you got a way to keep your fish alive. Nothin worse than having a good day and have some of them die before weigh in. Takes some trial and error on practice days to figure out what works for you. For the most part the bigger the fish the harder they are to keep alive with high water temps

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I understand and know from experience about making sure the boat is in proper working order as I do that always before I go fishing. But my question was more toward the tournament itself. Do you rig poles the night before like in Bass tournaments, with poles for different set ups, like trolling or jigging. Or do you just create the trolling set ups and store them ready to go at a moments notice. Tips for keeping fish a live. Types of poles to take with you. Depending on rules how different can rules be from tournament to tournament. Tournament behaviors, as I have seen some folks get down right mean.

Really I am trying to help others that may want to get started in a tournament but may be to nervous to attempt it without a little coaching or informative information. I know some guys that can flat out fish, but will never enter a tournament due to the fact that they dont want to put up with the crowed or egos that come with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Olesilverside gave the best advise ..He's been around a long..long...time:D....He's spot on & I try to do all he has said but have never found enough big ones to win one but thats why we keep trying Good luck & hope to meet u sometime....Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Yea I am hoping to actually meet a lot of you folks on here. Seems like a bunch of good folks around here.

Post Thanks / Like

there ain't no mean crappie fishermen ,thats for them ol bass fishermen.lol.there is a bunch of good guys at these CDC tourny's as far as getting ready just make sure everything is in working order and try to pre-fish a day or two just to have a idea where to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I knew that the pre fishing was important for sure. But like arkyfisherman said there are probably others out there that are interested as well in learning the ropes of the tournament side of things. It will be a few years before I even think about a tournament anyways, I need to learn the lakes first. And even then I doubt it, but who knows, it could happen. lol

Post Thanks / Like

First thing is confidence,if you fish a tournament without it you will not do well,pre fishn im not much on that,you know where you have caught big fish before stay away...i wil sometimes cut the hook off when fishn a big fish area...have a plan forsure,where to start,then a back up,then a back up,then a backup,,,i know alot of people on here had a plan for sat morn show up to already have someone there....need lots of backup plans...if you where to ask this question 2 weeks from now you would get alot more response...with the crappie masters close,people seem to to be liitle more quite.....i dont blame them though...even have back up airaters.mister bubbles anything..batteries...dont shy away from our plan....good luck...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast