Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDC Tournaments

Post Thanks / Like

Default CDC Tournaments

Just a couple of Questions:

1. How do we get more folks to fish the CDC tournaments?
    2. Is it the location?
    3 The economy?
    4. Is it the entry fee?
    5. Or is there just not that many folks that give a hoot about tournaments?

Sure seems to be a lot of folks that have interest in the crappie tournaments......

I would be interested in a spring Lake of the Ozark tournaments if the weigh in was at Wigwam (March or April), sure the heck not right now..... Lol to many big boats.

Thanks for your input.....
    Kevin Rogers-

Post Thanks / Like

Well very good questions.

#1. I don't have an answer for. They are very well run, very fair, fun and informative. I know I have learned a ton from them

#2. I don't know if the location intimidates people or what. I know I was when I began fishing up there, before last July I had never been on Truman and it can overwhelm you if you let it with all the timber everywhere and not knowing where to start or worrying about tearing something up.

#3. Possibly, I have had to cut back on how many trips I can make. I have been fishing the CDC tournaments every month as well as the Crappie Slayers tournaments on Pomme and those two weekends a month are the only days I have been going. No pre-fishing or fishing just for the heck of it and I even have a side mowing gig to make fishing money.

#4. I would highly doubt it. If it were any lower there wouldn't be very much prize money in the pot to hand out at the end of the day. It's only $30 and that includes big fish.

#5. Could be. I don't necessarilly look at it from a competitive stand point though. For $30 a month I've received more than I'll ever be able to give back. I enjoy the friendships I've made, the knowledge I've gained and can say it's added to the enjoyment of just going fishing in general because I've learned enough that I'm confident I can go and catch fish most of the time.

There's my .02 on the subject, probably didn't add anything to it but those of you that know me shouldn't be real surprised

Post Thanks / Like

I am less than a month away from 64.I have fished a lot in my lifetime but never fished a tournament before.Always figured i wasn't good enough.Thought about it, then in my opinion a lot of it is luck and i know for sure that you are never to old to learn from it.I plan on coming close to 200 miles for it.I fished Truman over the weekend and enjoyed it and we lucked out and caught some pretty nice fish.First time i had been up there in 20 years.I know the economy is bad but atleast the gas is atleast 30 cents a gal.cheaper up that way than here.And i think a lot of people think you have to have a $30,000 dollar boat.Boy will they get a surprise to see me and my partner.Shoot i probably waste $30.00 just reading about fishing.Just my 2 cents.Can't wait to meet you guys up that way.I think it will be fun and hope to learn a lot from everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I think you have the ones

that enjoy the competion and those that don't, and then there are the ones that just want to complain about them either way.... Heck in 1980 and there are still three of us that fished the first crappie tournament held on Truman Lake that still fish them, myself only when I feel good, Allen Morgan and John Boise.... our first tour. the entry was $25 and $2 for big crappie..... so it surely can't be the entry fee, 30 years later and you have went up $3.........And you don't see the same people winning all the time, yes there are those that can do well in each tour...... believe me they earn it......heck anytime I can be in the top 10 I feel darn good........ every dog has his day and anyone can be beat on any given day..... It can't be the location, how can you get any better than trailering to any ramp you want? Hell my good day is when I can stay ahead of old Hardhunter......RoflRofl be glad when he nails me, so I will have the pressure off of me..... Don't know how to make them any bigger, when you have a fish fry,etc after they are over time to time...... I have been glad to have known mike (pvchief) only went with him once up and then once right close to bucksaw and they have placed in the money ?? not sure how many times, but that is doing pretty good coming from springfield with no prefishing involved.....makes this old local scratch his head from time to time....Doh You guys are doing everything right on the way the tours. are run, guess there just isn't enough interest in them..... don't have a answer and not sure anyone does.....try to keep them going and I will cheer for some cooler weather........Thumbs Up
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried to get most crappie fishermen that I know to fish them and most of them are afraid to lose their money,even after I told them even I win once in awhile.lol. I also know it's tough out there for alot of people ,myself included.The only tournament I'm fishing now is the CDC tourn. cause I can't afford anymore.Don't change a thing on how you run the tournaments,they are great the way they are.I got my oldest boy and his son (Bullfrog and Tadpole)to be in this next one.Told them how great bunch of people you all are.

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin i wouldn't change a thing with them. I know Duncan and i plan on fishing the rest of them this year and wish we could have fished all of them just been to busy with work and other things in life this year. I would say the heat may have had some to do with the last few for some people, and school and sports is getting ready to start soon for others. Just keep them going and they will get bigger with time. I would like to have some in Nov-Jan for those who want to brave the cold the
    fishing can be good. LOZ would be okay as long as its before or after all the big boats get on or off the lake for the year. Most people piss away more than 30 dollars a
    month so that cant be it.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we are doing all right numbers wise. Lowest we have had was 18. Hate to get to big but would like to see 25-30 at them. I am fine with having some at other lakes but don't have the time or money to travel to other lakes to put them on. It is a lot of work getting ready for them and being there an hour or so early to take entries. I have not even fished one yet until this one Saturday to make sure everything was going to go smooth for sign up and to be ready for the weigh in. Next year I will be adding a spider rigging division or just opening it up for rigging during all tournaments. It is my favorite way to fish and have had several people say they would fish if they could rig. Don't think we would lose as many boats as we would gain by allowing it. For the most part or most teams it would not be effective other than early in the year. I am also fine with having a tournament or two in the cold months. I know a lot of us like to fish all winter allowing the lake is not iced over. I am up for any ideas or thoughts on how to better the tournaments. If someone would want to start a multiple lake tournament series and take over I am fine with that but I do not have time to do it. I could help someone get it started and sell them my setup or hook them up with were I got the equipment I have. I have around $400 in the stuff I have which is out of my pocket to put these on so everyone can have a good time. Then with cost for kids gifts, gas and such I would say I am down over $500 so far this year. But I feel it has been worth it as everyone has had a great time at these and have learned a lot about Truman and what it takes to find and catch big fish here. If anyone has any ideas how to make them better just let us know.

Post Thanks / Like

Jared, your efforts and the fact you've taken money from your pocket is a very unselfish gesture to those of us that fish these. Been around the fishing industry for 40 years and have run a few, its a thankless job but thank you nonetheless. Thanks to Lenny (boy that pains me :D) and Kevin for getting the ball rolling. Kevin, don't think there is any one answer that fits all. People will cite family and monetary priorities which are legit. Some prefer to recreational fish which is fine also. The people I hope that might reconsider are those that might be intimidated because they're concerned they aren't experienced enough, think they don't have the proper equipment or boat, are concerned about lack of pre-fishing time, or are concerned they might embarrass themselves at weigh in. This is a pretty forgiving and friendly bunch, no one is making judgments and pre fishing the day before an event is highly over rated on this lake it seems. If you are holding out because you don't know the routine, get with almost anyone that has fished, they'd be glad to take you through the process before time to make sure you have your bases covered. The live fish weigh in could be holding up some as it's difficult to keep fish alive in the heat. Some, hardhunter for one, make modifications to their livewell systems and do fine. The embarrassment forked out by this group is not when you don't know them very well, it's after you get to know them "too" well. My first get together event with this crew in 2008 I was treated with respect, it's been down hill ever since,,,,Doh

Post Thanks / Like

Well thanks for the input, maybe its just HardHunter2....lolRofl , keeping all the folks away!
    Kevin Rogers-

Post Thanks / Like

i would like to fish them.but there's always something else competing for my time.i know most people want thier trip to last all day, but i rarely get out for more than a few hours.it would definetly help me to have them in the cooler/colder months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast