Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Transporting/Filleting Fish

PropheticZero Guest

Default Transporting/Filleting Fish

Hi everyone, I've been trying to figure out some questions I have but google isn't helping me. I happened on this forum and maybe you all can help.

I fished pretty frequently when I was younger with my dad so as far as the simple act of fishing I've got the bigginer chops down.

What I'm having issues with and whats somewhat keeping me from jumping back into fishing around here is that I seemed to have missed out on alot of the details of transporting and filleting fish. My dad always did that. I plan on starting to fish on a few weekends with my dad but I'd kind of like to figure out some of this stuff on my own. Be my own man in a way. So I'll sneak on here and ask you knowlegeable folk.

Transporting Fish:

I live in Rolla, MO and I'm planning on fishing in a few possible areas within 10-15 mins max of my home.

When I catch my first fish should I leave it on a stringer or in one of thoses wire mess containers? Or should I put it on ice?

If I put it on ice do I put it on ice alive or do I kill/bleed it before putting in a cooler? Or maybe not ice but just water.

Filleting fish:

I've read some that say you should kill the fish before you fillet them. Other sources seem to gloss over this. To be honest I don't remember my dad ever doing anything other than just fillet them with the exception of catfish that got stunned.

I dont even remember him having them on ice, just in a cooler I think.

One source I found said you have to be careful of the stomach, but in my few fumbling memories of trying to fillet a fish I don't seem to remember that being an issue. I think I simply cut behind the fin to the bone then slid the knife along the bone until you get to the tail, flip it over and slide it between the skin and fillet.

I think I'd perfer to fillet them back at home but I'd clean them at the lake if this would be better as far as the quality of the meat.

I know this is kinda unorganized but I just have a lot of general questions that all have to do with getting from off the hook to in my belly. Any help would be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

No big deal,if your keeping them just throw them on ice,alive.If theres a chance you'll let them go,a stringer,basket,livewell,or better yet,release them immediatly.

No need to mess with bleeding,stunning,killing.Keep them on ice,get home and fillet them,skin them,debone them,cook and eat.No big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

The K.I.S.S. system always works best!!:D

PropheticZero Guest

So I have a cooler.

Should it be just plain ice or mix in some water?

Post Thanks / Like

I like a mix of ice and icewater (mostly ice) in the livewell of my boat. Drop the fish in the frigid mixture...Seems like the most humane way to kill your catch and keep it fresh (Just like in "Titanic")... The extra weight of the water won't be welcome if you're bank fishing, though.
    Last edited by ShortStorie; 04-02-2006 at 03:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

one thing to be carefull of with putting fish on ice is shrinkage! they will generally shrink up to 1/4" so if length limit of 9" you put it on ice @9" you get checked by warden 2hrs.later on your way off lake or home your 9" fish are now 8 3/4" and they WILL fine you. So your best bet is if limit 9" and you are throwing them on ice make them 9 1/2". Good luck fishing

PropheticZero Guest

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/documents/regs/fishsum.pdf

On page 10 of the summary of regulations for Missouri it shows that there really aren't that many max lengths.

Am I missing something or are alot of these length limits set at the fishing location?

Also is an "impoundment" as mentioned in these regulations just a fancy word for lake or pond?

Post Thanks / Like

Keep on reading PZ, that little #1 beside (NONE) is a footnote at the bottom of the same page. They're rules on length limits on all waters, except private. Don't know for sure why they call them impoundments, but i'm glad they impounded them hehe...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

I just use a cooler and ice and let them sit for a day and then clean them. Just keep them out of the heat during the summer and things will be fine.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave