Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultralight selection and configuration ...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ultralight selection and configuration ...

I have narrowed it down to a Shimano Symetre 750 or a Quantum Kinetic PTi-A. Both are the same price $79. I want a "higher end" ultralight reel for panfishing in general - I will pair it with an IM-7 graphite rod.

Three things:

1. Shimano or Quantum? I have Shimanos that I am very happy with, but the new Quantum series really looks nice - Titanium Bail w Magnetic Release, Aluminum Frame, etc. (the Shimano Symetre in the 750 size is graphite, all larger ones are aluminum).

2. 5' or 6' length? Obviously it will be an ultralight (1/16-3/8oz) with moderate action.

3. What line? So far I have found that the Silver Thread Excalibur Copolymer has extremely low memory and so many folks have mentioned the Power Pro for its tiny diameter in relation to strength (2# dia w 10# break) and the low memory.

Thanks to all with experience in these areas!!

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for a 6' rod just for the extra length on the cast or vertical jigging. Go with the smallest diameter line that you feel comfortable with. I usually use 4 lb ( stren, berkley, cablae's pro.)
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

1. The Symetre. I have one and it a sweet little reel.
    2. 6' rod definately
    3. I've tried PP line and like it until I get hung up. I keep forgetting to wrap the line around something and it cuts into my hand. also I've found that if you spray it with something like silicon, it comes off the spool better. Never tried reel magic.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Quantum. It is a good reel. I don't have the Shimano.

Post Thanks / Like

Have 4 pti 10s, love em. BPS was selling last years pti's for 49.95, bought the last 3 at the St. Charles Mo. store...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Combo

TampaJim,

I think I have 6 of the symetre reels. They are very good reels. A word of caution on the 750. I have one and can tell you that your casting distance will not be very far. If you go with the 1500 and a front drag I think you will be happier. The diameter of the spool reduces the surface area of the drag and increases line drag on the cast. I really like the 6' rods as well. The allstar's seem to work good for me. As far as line goes it really depends on use. The flurocarbons are good but I don't like to use it bobber because of the weight and it sinks. I really like it for tightlining. Fishing with bobbers I will go with P-line XX strong and change the line often due to lots of memory. My 2 cents......

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for a 6 ft rod. I have a Quantum and like it. As far as line, you said ultralite, that mean 4# or 2# Have fun

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 5 foot Pro Advantage graphite RX-15-ULS Ultralite Action Lure Wt. 1/32-1/8 OZ. Line Wt. 4-8 LB. rod paired with a Diawa UL7 Ultralight spinning reel loaded with Berkley 6lb. test mono. I like this outfit and have used it for many years now. Sometimes I like to use a longer rod and have a Browning graphite 7.5 foot fly rod paired with a Diawa A80 spincast reel also loaded with Berkley 6lb. test.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim
    I have narrowed it down to a Shimano Symetre 750 or a Quantum Kinetic PTi-A. Both are the same price $79. I want a "higher end" ultralight reel for panfishing in general - I will pair it with an IM-7 graphite rod.

Three things:

1. Shimano or Quantum? I have Shimanos that I am very happy with, but the new Quantum series really looks nice - Titanium Bail w Magnetic Release, Aluminum Frame, etc. (the Shimano Symetre in the 750 size is graphite, all larger ones are aluminum).

2. 5' or 6' length? Obviously it will be an ultralight (1/16-3/8oz) with moderate action.

3. What line? So far I have found that the Silver Thread Excalibur Copolymer has extremely low memory and so many folks have mentioned the Power Pro for its tiny diameter in relation to strength (2# dia w 10# break) and the low memory.

Thanks to all with experience in these areas!!
    Something important to consider when setting-up a ultra-light outfit is balance. Does the reel balance with the rod? Very important. You mentioned the Shimano Symetre 750 and the Quantum Kinetic 10PTi. While both are quality reels and similar in size, there is a discrepancy of 2 ounces in weight between these reels. Something to consider when matching up to a true ultra-light rod. Some other things to consider:

Reels: Ultra-lights very greatly from one manufacturer to another. weight, bearings and spool size. Some will have small diameter spools, others large. Large diameter spools are good for casting and less line memory, small diameter spools, not so good. Personnally, in 40+ years of ultra-light fishing I have owned or field tested most of the quality ultra-lights on the market. Some current good ones I have used are, Shimano Symetre and Sahara 750, Diawa Laguna 1000 and the Okuma Inspira and Aveon 10's. And the old reliable, the Diawa SS700. These reels very greatly in size and price. It really depends on the rod it is to be matched with and it's intended use. Personally, I don't consider a reel a true ultra-light unless it weighs under 8 ounces. That's the only reason I wouldn't recommend the Quantums for most true ultra-light panfish/trout rods.

Rods: rod length? depends on it's intended use. Short rods for vertical fishing long rods for deep water. Personally, I use a 4 1/2' for dock fishing, a 6' for water under 15 feet and a 7' rod for deep water fishing. I use G. Loomis rods, simply the best on the market. Many manufacturers have rods they claim are ultra-lights, but are not true ultra-lights. A rod rated for 1/16-3/8 oz. lures, is not a ultra-light rod! Think, 1/32-3/16 and 1-4# or 2-6#.

Line: Most all line, unless IGFA line, is not the real pound test as printed on the box. For instance, most 4# line is actualy 6-8# line. A good rule of thumb, check the diameter of the line, if the 4# is .005 inches, it's 4#, if it's .007, it's 6# or better. Personal favorites, Spiderwire XXX super mono, Maxima fluorocarbon and P-Line fluoroclear.

For the ultimate experience in ultra-light fishing. Try a G.Loomis SR541 GL3 with a Okuma Aveon AE-10 and 2# Maxima fluorocarbon line. It doesn't get any better than that. Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Symetre's, but I don't know if I'd go with the 750. As mentioned earlier, it has a small spool that will not help your casting distance.

I agree with Dave on the Daiwa SS 700. My dad has two and loves them. They're very light with excellent line lay on the spool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast