Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Live Creek Chubs For Stripers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Live Creek Chubs For Stripers

Anyone ever tried to use Creek Chubs on Stripers. I think they would work great. Here in NW Arkansas in these clear deep lakes its hard to catch shad and Brood Minnows are kinda pricey and really not big enough. I know some spots where I could get me some creek chubs some of them maybe 8 or 9 inches long. I think I will give them a try. If anyone else has tried them I would like to know how it turned out.

Post Thanks / Like

Being that creek chubs live in small creeks and stripers live in reservoirs and large rivers, I don't think it would be the best bait. Probably still work though. Bluegills to me would be easier bait to get and more routinely eaten by stripers.

Post Thanks / Like

here in illinois creek chubs work great. we hook em rite thru the lips n fish em a foot deep under a bobber. stripers love em.

Post Thanks / Like

bfish is correct in that large bluegills work awsome for stripers, but I believe they are illigal to use in ark as bait. I know of a couple guys who use em anyway in beaver and really tear up the big stripers. I'm sure creek chubs would work on some days (some days they only want a shad or skipjack) and they would be much easier to keep alive.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I use creek chubs quite often for stripers on Lake Hartwell and have caught fish on them, but the bait of choice on Hartwell seems to be the blue back herring. Try them they will work and they will work well for cut bait for stripers at certain times of the year.
    RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Post Thanks / Like

Beaver Lake is where im talking about fishing. We have no skipjacks or bluebacks here. All we have is shad.. It is legal to use Bluegills in Arkansas I think they have to be 4 inches or less in length and if you have any bluegills over that length I think its ok if you have no more than 20 i could be wrong on that number but ill check. Yeh I use gills all the time for cats. I usually just use brood minnows on stripers cause shad are hard to get here. I still think creek chubs would work. Up in the upper end of Beaver in the river arms there have to be creek chubs. Especially in War Eagle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iivydriff View Post
    Beaver Lake is where im talking about fishing. We have no skipjacks or bluebacks here. All we have is shad.. It is legal to use Bluegills in Arkansas I think they have to be 4 inches or less in length and if you have any bluegills over that length I think its ok if you have no more than 20 i could be wrong on that number but ill check. Yeh I use gills all the time for cats. I usually just use brood minnows on stripers cause shad are hard to get here. I still think creek chubs would work. Up in the upper end of Beaver in the river arms there have to be creek chubs. Especially in War Eagle.
    I would imagine your right about the creek chubs being in the upper arms, and I'm sure they will work for ya.... Id still try to find a creek or small river in the area to find some shad, too. I like having a selection of bait no matter what fish I'm chasing, so I say go for it!