Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ms law??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ms law??

Found this today. Sounds like someone talking about something they do not know. But may be true.
    Pete

Before the law changed last year in Mississippi, the hand grabbers would haul in trailer loads of plastic, 55-gallon barrels with a hole cut out of the top and put those in the river for flatheads. Now all that they are allowed to put out is wooden structure. I've heard stories of them running the barrels and finding thousands of baby flatheads in there, so it must be good nesting structure.

Post Thanks / Like

Noodlers have put a couple of 1/2 barrels out along the shoreline in front of my home and regularly take some big catfish out of them.(fun to watch, but not my cup of tea).

The bit about the baby catfish is a tad stretched to suit me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I left out the cause of this post..
    It was on the quote on wood only on plastic. As this if true could mean PVC pipe.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I posted that on BOC site in a post about channel cat nesting structure.

I was told about the baby flatheads by the guy that ran the barrel.

The regulations on hand grabbing structure changed in July of 2005 and now you may only place wooden structure in any public water. I hope I am the cause of this new regulation. I called EPA and DEQ after finding plastic COTTON POISON barrels in the Coldwater River in Quitman County, used as nest boxes for flatheads. I have found everything from cotton poison barrels to water heaters, pvc pipe and bathtubs. It may be good structure, but it is litter to the rest of us.

Public Notice F6-3428(a) effective August 31, 2005

6. Be it further ordered that taking of non-game gross fish only by hand or rope (no attachments) is legal during the statewide season from May 1 to July 15. However, it is unlawful to alter any natural areas by placing of boards, wire or any other obstruction to said logs, holes etc. or to take fish from such altered devices. Also, it is unlawful to raise any part of a natural or artificial device out of the water thereby aiding in the capture of enclosed fish. Only wooden containers may be used. It is unlawful to place structures such as plastic or metal barrels, hot water tanks, concrete pipe, tires and other non-biodegradable materials in any public waters of this state. Any person grabbling for fish must have a valid sport fishing license.

Rob Heflin
    MDWFP Law Enforcement
    Quitman County, Mississippi
    Last edited by FW227; 04-02-2006 at 03:21 PM.
    MDWFP
    Report Wildlife Violations:
    1-800-BE-SMART or Report Wildlife Violations Online

Post Thanks / Like

FW227 I take this as in MS only Wood for any thing to fish in?
    I can see the trash and Chemical barrels not being in the water. AS I bet some of them still had cotton poison residue in them./

Thanks
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Pete,

Only wood in MS public waters.
    MDWFP

Post Thanks / Like

glad that i already have all my boxes out from the last several years cant beat a blue grain barrel with a 10in hole in one end for big blues and flatheads we thought about the fact that they were litter after we put them out so we built cypress boxes last year took about ten blocks to sink one way to much work involved. hope this doesnt offend anyone

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'd rather rub up against a plastic barrel than step on a rusty nail from a rotten wooden box, but the insecticide barrels messed it up for everybody. From what I've seen, the guys that take the time to fix up the plastic barrels usually pull them all out after season is over. Some get left behind and silted in which makes them impossible to retrieve after a year or so.

There are too many plastic barrels out there for someone to go and use one that has had cotton poison in it. From what we were told, you can run what is already out, but don't get caught putting anything else out but wood. Looking at about $150 per incident.

You ought to see the bottom of these dry flood control reservoirs in North Mississippi right now. I can show you hundreds of plastic barrels around hundreds of trees. In a few months, they will all be under water.

Like I said, I really don't see a problem with the clean barrels, but the poison barrels ruined it for everyone.
    MDWFP