Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling rod help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling rod help?

I'm thinking of buying a couple Okuma 15dx's for trolling crankbaits. Can someone tell me what rod to match up with them? Med-Med Light? About what length. Basically for Crappie..Thanks..

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use B'nM Pro Trollers with my Okuma 15dx's ......Pull a 14 ft. and a 10 ft. rod off of each side of the boat and then two 8 ft. rods straight out the back of the boat.....this gives me 4 ft. of separation between the lines. I buy my Pro Trollers from Monks www.monkscrappie.com I buy my Okuma line counter reels from Northwoods http://www.northwoodsoutlet.com/osco...oducts_id=4098
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I use the BPS walleye angler trolling rods in a12' and the 8'ers. I also use the Cabelas Whuppin Stick 8'er (these are really inexpensive and work great) in a glass Trolling rod. All of these rods are TROLLING rods and have excellent tip action with cranks because they're made for trolling. I do use a Wally Marshal Tightline in a 16'er for my long poles to get separation. The B&M's are probably about the same for this. To sum it up, I run a 16', a 12', and an 8' on each side, and the other 8'ers out the back. I also use two of the BPS Six River Salmon rods in 8' to Pull lead core line. I use an Okuma 30 for this to hold more colors of lead core 18# line, plus the leader. I take out the rear rods and swap them with the lead core rods. Beware, you can't turn with the lead core rods and the other rods out. You have to reel the lead core in and reset them after you turn.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

BnM Pro Staff Trolling Rods in 14 & 12 foot lengths, Eagle Claw Starfire 7'6 trolling rods and 7' BPS graphite series med/heavy trigger rods-all paired with Okuma Magda Pro 15's.

Post Thanks / Like

crappiemaxx tightline series are pretty good cranking rods.....cant go wrong w/ BnM either

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

any medium action will work,just figure out how much seperation u want,i use 2 -7ft cheap walmart rods med. action,2 -12ft silstar limit series,-14ft bandm protrollers ,if ur gonna be making turns i would recommend 4ft seperation between rods

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2 ulgy stick 7'ers and Okuma dx 15's, but I go the lazy man's path by using only 2 rods. 4+ rods seems like too much work to me.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.