Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Bass?

Post Thanks / Like

Default White Bass?

Does any one know how to cook a white bass so that they don't taste strong? I have never tried one but and have been told that most people don't eat them. If any one knows a secret to soaking them or something I would sure appreciate it.

Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Try cooking them in salt water.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb White Bass/Yellow Bass/Hybrid Stripers/Stripers ....

Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    Does any one know how to cook a white bass so that they don't taste strong? I have never tried one but and have been told that most people don't eat them. If any one knows a secret to soaking them or something I would sure appreciate it.

Rod
    cleaning is first situation to consider, for removal of the "strong" taste. Remove all "red" meat sections .... and remove all skin. Rinse, and clean all blood and red meat residue from filet. Red meat will be on skin side of filet. Prepare and cook as you would any other freshwater fish. And remember, the coating/spices used to cover the filet will be the overall taste. ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

My Dad always wanted to try smoking the white bass since they are so oily. Don't think he ever did since he did not have a smoker. Smoked fish though, m-m-m-m.

Post Thanks / Like

bake,broil,fry.just about any way you'd cook other fish.the key is prep,as mentined.put on ice immediately after catching.cut out the red meat,soak in milk for a couple hours,orovernight in saltwater if eating fresh,which usually is the best way to eat them.
    if freezing,soak over night in saltwater.this helps to firm up the flesh some,and draws out excess blood.white bass are not real firm fleshed,and if not iced immediately and prepped right,will be "soggy" and less tastey.
    you may even want to cut the gills and bleed then out before throwing them on ice,if possible.a lot of guys do that with walleyes around here,and swear it makes a big difference.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like your white bass are a lot like our stripers...."white bass are not real firm fleshed,and if not iced immediately and prepped right,will be "soggy" and less tastey."
    IF they are and IF you fry your fillets, you may want to try "over" cooking a wee bit. We have found this to give striper fillets the texture we desire in fish. Cooking gets rid of the "soggy" and removing the red meat as CP says gets rid of the "fishy" taste.....for us anyway.
    ....lee s.

Post Thanks / Like

As CP said, to remove the red meat, but I also try to keep white bass alive, until I clean them. I will put them in the livewell, but will add Ice to the livewell also, if it is a warm day. Putting them on Ice in a cooler will work, but I think it is better to keep them alive, until I fillet them. Just my opinion. I try to keep all fish alive until I clean them, if I am going to eat them.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    cleaning is first situation to consider, for removal of the "strong" taste. Remove all "red" meat sections .... and remove all skin. Rinse, and clean all blood and red meat residue from filet. Red meat will be on skin side of filet. Prepare and cook as you would any other freshwater fish. And remember, the coating/spices used to cover the filet will be the overall taste. ...cp
    Yes CP hit the nail on the head. Cut out all the red meat and problem taken care of.
    Just like on a striper, Bigger catfish, Or any fish that that has the read fat on them/
    Then fry as any other fish and enjoy.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Clean well as everyone has mentioned above. Soak in 7-UP. Will taste as good as crappie. Try it!!!:D :D

Post Thanks / Like

I would STRONGLY suggest you try Jerry Blakes recipie for white bass. You can find the recipie on his website. Baisicaly what you do is marrinate them in italian dressing for a day, then wrap in bacon and broil them on each side. They are absoluely unbeliveable like this. I have also tried them the same way with tiger sauce.
    Please note that I am a fatboy thus I know good food when I eat it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast