Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you de-scale crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you de-scale crappie

I've been filleting my catch and removing the skin. Yesterday I tried de-scaling a crappie. It didn't look very appetizing (very green with pronounced texture) so I removed the skin.

Do you ever cook crappie with the skin on?

Post Thanks / Like

If you got a smaller fish and cannot get a sizeable fillet we always scale em. if it is a larger fish hes filleted when we scale em u just cut the head off pop the guts out and take ur knife and go backwards (tail to head) and scale em. Leave the skin on em trust me it gives it a much better taste in my opinion. The scaled crappie may be a little harder to eat around the bones and all but like anything you get good at it over time. And its something about skin on em when you fry em you really got some good eatin
    Just Yakin along

Post Thanks / Like

Fillet everything. If its too small to fillet, I'll toss em back. I don't like to eat bone in fish, many people love them that way though. Just depends on how you like to eat them.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    Fillet everything. If its too small to fillet, I'll toss em back. I don't like to eat bone in fish, many people love them that way though. Just depends on how you like to eat them.
    ^ This!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I fillet all my crappie
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I filet and skin all I eat, when my buddy comes from MS to fish with me he scales them, cut off heads and guts them. He likes them better that way, it really just comes down to personnel taste.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the taste of whole, bone in, skin on fish, but I generally fillet all mine. It's just easier, faster, and less of a mess.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I used the wrong terminology in my original post...I cleaned the crappie just like normal (cut along the backbone, remove the rib cage, etc); it's just that I scaled it first and left the skin on. I don't want to eat around the bones; I'm usually much too hungry for that!

Yes, scaling does create quite a mess.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done that before. The skin gives the fillet a subtle nutty flavor that I have always liked. It is just so messy scaling them that I don't do it very often.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    Ditto, though once in a while if the bite is slow, I'll keep a few smaller ones (generally 'gill) for a single meal. I skin as well, though won't argue skin and bone add a bit of flavor. I just prefer picking-up a fillet and biting into it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast